Thread: Is it possible to have a VBAC in a Birth Centre?

Default Is it possible to have a VBAC in a Birth Centre?

I have been discussing my options tonight with my partner. He spoke to one of his mate's wives and she suggested maybe we could try a birth centre.

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and the Logan Hospital told me at 23 weeks that I cannot have a vbac after 2 caesareans (despite me already having a successful VBAC with my son in 1999). I then went to my midwife appt and the midwife has advised me to write to the Professor of the hospital in the hopes of getting my vbac. But I don't know what success I will have with this.

We were thinking of hiring a midwife as a possibility if the Logan will not let me give birth. And then, thinking of that money we would spend, we are wondering if a birth centre is a good idea? And being in the hospital at the same time, would be good. But, my question would be...do they accept women who have had 2 prior caesareans? I have no experience in the private sytem or with birth centres. Can anyone help? I imagine the Mater Hospital in brisbane is the nearest birth centre to me. Though at 29 weeks...have I left it too late?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

No birth centres dont do them, you have to be their classification of 'low risk'... so hospital or homebirth but not a BC.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

That sux.

I realised after I typed this and looked up birth centres on here, that I would need to be low risk, book early and numbers were low.

I guess I'll just wait and see now. If the hospital are not cooperative, I may just have a home birth.

Well, i don't really have much info for you. But how abbout you not being cooperative... What I mean is that you just don't agree to a c/s, try and stall them, refuse to be booked for a c/s before your due date and turn up when you're already in established labour...
    As far as I know, they are not allowed to perform a C/S without your consent as it's classed as assault. And they can't refuse you care, either. But this might be a really hard route to take. You don't really want to have to argue with so called experts when in labour. Your hubby would need to be well infformed and completely on board so that he can fight with you. Maybe even hire a doula...

another thing, even if you do end up deciding on a C/S. Can you fight for a trial of labour first?

Hope you get the birth you want. Kudos to you for knowing what you want and being assertive enough to insist on it.
    Sasa

Thanks!

Yes, I am certainly NOT going to sign a consent form if my baby girl (Cara) is head down and ready to go.

I am not sure at this point whether I want to challenge them if they fight me, or go with a homebirth. I have to consider both options. I like being in the hospital if something goes wrong, but at the same time I know they will make me follow their rules and I could end up with yet another caesarean! Homebirthing sounds wonderful. The only thing I worry about is having to be trasferred to hospital if something goes wrong (I can't deliver or the baby isn't breathing or something!). I wonder how often that happens? It can't be a high percentage?

My partner knows the risks of repeat caesareans and knows that it is safe to vbac after multiple caesareans. He is very persuasive when he wants to be. He's a good talker (aussie born Italian...I think that helps lol). He gave the drs a good talking to just before my last caesarean, as my first caesarean was a complete disaster with the anesthetic not working properly and me FEELING them cut and stitch me up!!

The Mater doesn't have a birth centre - the only one in Brisbane is at the RBWH...and they don't do vbac's.

Their low risk criteria is extremely conservative.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you go homebirth, QLD is blessed to have the awesome Vicki Chan.... she's amazing. Have a chat with her
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Ok thanks! It's good to hear a good recommendation!

If you are interested in a home birth, I would suggest you contact a home birth MW and ask her all the questions you have.
    Homebirth MWs are very skilled at preventing most complications. But if one does arrive, theyalso know how to react. They usually come equipped with a whole bag full of tricks to help them handle emergencies. But if you talk to one, she will be able to give you more specific info.

You are so lucky you have such a supportive husband!

Sasa