Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: post date VBAC!

Default post date VBAC!

Hi everyone...

Just wanted to ask, I am due in February with my second DS and am hoping to have a VBAC. I had a chat to my midwife at the hospital I'm going to have him at and she hinted that I won't be allowed to go past my due date and will need to book in for another Caesarean which I really don't want to do!! I'm pretty sure I have my dates right, putting me giving birth 3 days past my due date... based on ovulation not the first day of my cycle. So I at least wanted to wait 3-4 days to see if I go into labour naturally!! Has anyone else heard of this situation occuring at a hospital?

Thanks

L.

Lollie Guest

I'm pretty sure the information you have been given is incorrect and I would be seeking a second opinion if it were me in your situation. From my knowledge (of VBACS), they let you go as long as need be (as they don't like inducing but will if needed), providing there is no health risk to you or to bubs.

Good luck

With a VBAC more often than not they prefer not to induce you.

However in saying that there is absolutely no reason for making you have a repeat C section either. Like any other pregnant woman in the hospital system I would think they would "allow" you to go 10 days over. Its totally your choice though. Don't be pushed into anything you don't want or feel comfortable with.

Thats what I was thinking.... I've been feeling under immense pressure about it, even though I'm still a little way off... just don't want to feel stressed about the fact that its either go into labour by the 10th or book in for a C section! I want to at least have the chance to have a natural labour this time...

As I said this was just one of the midwives telling me this in conversation and I haven't had a proper chat with my ob about it yet so will definitely bring it up!!

L.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

OOooOO makes my blood boil...

Check out the below articles and resources:

VBAC - On Whose Terms?
    Birthrites - Healing After Caesarean (click the literature link on the left)
    http://www.caesarean.org.uk
    VBAC.com - a woman-centered, evidence based, resource.

Books:

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth - Henci Goer
    Silent Knife - Nanci Cohen
    The VBAC Companion Guide
    Last edited by BellyBelly; November 19th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Mine to Kelly.

My second daughter was a VBAC and I gave birth at 12 days post EDD. My hospital started to pressure me at 10 days post EDD and even to the point of suggesting a c/s. I am/was firmly against having one. I would suggest reading as much information and arming yourself with knowledge. Base your decisions and choices on information not only your hospital has given you but other sources.

Read: Silent Knife and A Thinking Womans Guide to Better Birth. Hire a doula. *hugs* most of all surround yourself with positive support.

SamanthaP Guest

Ask the staff what's going to happen? Will your uterus turn into a pumpkin if you don't give birth by midnight on your due date!
    You're going to need to be strong, Leeloo. Don't book that section.

ok... going to read up on all the stuff you guys have given me.. that way I won't be blinded by medical mumbo jumbo when I get into the Obs office!!

Thanks for your support everyone... makes me feel so much better knowing I have options!!

What happens if they want to book me in for a C though...? Can I switch obs or hospitals at this late a date!?

L.

You can say no. Its your choice. There is NO medical indication for a repeat c/s at this point of time. Get a doula to help you go & support you in your appointments if necessary. You may need a support person with you at the hospital or on the other end of the phone. You don't ever have to make a rash decision leading up to labour, while in labour sure, but not now.

ok... I have my next appointment in a couple of weeks so will read up and write out a list of questions I want answered!

Girl power!!!

L.

You are on the Gold Coast? There are some excellent birth coaches down there. Also you could do a Hypnobirthing or CalmBirthing course which would help prepare you for the emotional stress which is a VBAC and having to "fight" for your choices.

Hiya..

I am looking into getting a doula... have had a look at the directory on belly belly, I just need to start contacting a few before they all become too busy... might do that tomorrow! I have to make an appointment with a midwife to bring with me to the obstetrician in week 34 so I'm going to try and find one who works at the hospital who is open to a natural VBAC birth! Obviously not the one I spoke to a couple of weeks ago!!

If anyone can recommend a great Doula who is experienced with VBACs, if you could PM me there details that would be great.

L.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

LOL Samantha!!!! Will have to remember that one...

Doh I always forget that - YES! Get a doula, they can help advocate and can do so without emotion - they can look more objectively at things. White coat syndrome is rife!!!

I also always forget calmbirthing/hypnobirthing - also highly recommended. The Pink Kit too - there are some additional components you can buy for VBAC but in general its a great resource....
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

It is absolutely within your right's as a patient to refuse any treatment and doctors have taken an oath to respect that

speaking of which...... i love how they have their oath "first do no harm" yet they insist on further unnecissary c-sections and stuff which do in fact have impact on the bonding between mother and baby and is slicing you up rather then letting your body do what its supposed to do naturally... but anyway.... omg, i'm gonna say that when i go in to demand my VBAC! LOL

Had a read of a few of those sites.. and will look at getting the books you all recommended! I will let you all know what my ob says when I see him next week!!

(watch this space)

L.

moomoo Guest

hi leeloo
    I am having a vbac and I am 40 weeks today the hospital I go to is willing to let me go for the next 11 days then I will be induced I am hoping that I wont go that far anyway hope this helps

Here in Newcastle NSW we VBACing mum's are treated like any other mother as far as going overdue so I would not be rushing into a c-section before or on your due date.
    Melissa

Hi everyone... thanks for all your fantastic support on this topic!

I saw my ob this morning and he told me that they will let me go 7 days overdue and then reassess the situation... examine my cervix etc!! So thats a plus, they don't want to induce me so will possibly break my waters if everything is ready to go!

I'm 29 weeks and engaged already and the baby at this stage is on my left side. The ob thought there is absolutely know reason I shouldn't be able to deliver naturally so I'm a little more optimistic!

Thanks everyone

L.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast