Thread: Raspberry Leaf Tablets?

Default Raspberry Leaf Tablets?

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and will be attempting a VBAC this time around! I started taking Raspberry leaf tablets about 2 weeks ago which I purchased from the health food shop. The container says to take 6 tablets a day but I am only taking 1 tablet and getting quite strong Braxton Hicks.... I was going to up my dosage to 2 tablets a day but I spoke to my midwife yesterday and she said that I shouldn't as the strength of the contractions could put strain on my scar and might cause a rupture.....

I would love to know if anyone else taken Raspberry leaf tablets/tea while attempting a VBAC and what your experiences were?

Thanks guys!

L.

Hey leeloo

I didnt have a vbac...but i did use raspberry leaf tablets (the tea was not too my taste )...

it is quite common to have an increase in BH frequency and strength with the use of any form of RLT...and this is why it is always best for the muma to be to control her intake (of course never taking more than the recommended dose)

if the dose you are taking is having this effect then you dont need to up your dose...I was also very senstive to the tablets and ended up stopping them all together at 37 weeks

RLT will NOT cause any problems like uterine rupture...the raspberry leaf works to facilitate relaxation of the uterine muscle, which increases blood flow to the muscle, oxygenating and energising so the uterus can work at optimal function

there are a few research studies on RLT...and there are no indicators of any poor outcomes for mother or baby

hope this helps

xx blue daisy

Hmmm, i've been having 3 cups in tea form a day for the past week or so. Maybe i should have a chat to my doctor about it and see what he thinks. The BH don't seem to be too bad, they seem to happen more when i'm out walking or something, but there is a definate difference between what i'm getting now and what i had in my 1st pregnancy when i was drinking RLT and my second when i didn't bother. I hardly got any in my second.

So the raspberry leaf should strengthen and tone the uterus and promote a more efficient labour. But because of the stronger contractions, how is this different to being given a pitocen injection or are the contractions not as bad as that!? Would the strain on the scar be increased?

I've been having 3 cups of RLT per day for the last week, the BH had increased but were fine until yesterday all of a sudden i was just getting constant BH.. they weren't really strong but were just constant that today i feel like i've run a marathon. I only had 1 tea yesterday and am gonna give it a complete rest today as i don't wanna stress out my scar, but is that normal for that to happen? it was all fine until yesterday and i didn't do anything particularly stressful, stayed home all day and didn't do much.

Hi everyone again!

Just back to my original question... I'm a bit closer to my due date than I was when I originally posted and haven't upped my dose of one Raspberry leaf tablet yet!! I will be 36 weeks tomorrow and just wanted to hear from anyone who has had a successful VBAC and taken RLT!? And any more thoughts on whether it with cause my scar to rupture....? I am keen to deliver early, say 38 weeks to avoid a C-Section but don't want to put myself or my baby in any danger!!

Thanks guys!!