Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: staying home in labor - a good idea?

SamanthaP Guest

Amniotomy for shortening spontaneous labour

This is the Cochrane review of ARM or amniotomy.
    The highlights are ;-) :increase in c-section rate and no shortening of first stage labour.

SamanthaP Guest

Ok you're freaking me out Tobily :lol

LOL snap!

[email protected] Guest

Hi,

I don't know if what I have to say will be of any use to you, but I hope that you will at least find some encouragement. I had an emergency c-section with my first and was told by the OB (while still in theater) that I would never have a natural delivery.
    However, when I was 24 weeks along with #2 a midwife told me not to fall for that and gave me some wonderful information about VBAC's. She even runs a VBAC class that informs women of the risks and what to except as truth etc. So through the class and my own research I learned that the risks are small and to stand up and fight for what I believed in. I made sure that my hubby and my support person knew what I wanted and I wrote a birth plan stating my wishes.
    When I finally went into labour I stayed home as long as possible. By the time I got to the hosp. I was already 7cm. Never once did I let them tell me that I couldn't do it and when time was mentioned, I reaffirmed that unless there was a medically sound reason for C/S I would continue to labour. My DD was born safely and naturally. It can be done!

Some quick points I would like to add:

I'm not completely convinced that a scan to determine size will be useful. Two reasons, it could make you very apprehensive about something you cannot control and nobody knows what your pelvis or the baby's head will do during labour. I am convinced that positioning of the baby is much more important than size. (Friend of mine had c/s due to breech with her first and second was VBAC of a healthy 10lb10oz baby).

The other thing is that I don't see any reason why you should not be allowed to go post dates (its only an estimate anyway). I am currently 6 days past dates with bub #3 and if all is well my OB will let me go to 14 days. I really hope for another VBAC, and will be sure to let you know what happens.

Last thing, from what I understand if women are given time and support the success rate for VBAC is 80-85% and that sounds great to me!

thanks! [email protected]

It's all a little scary to me cause the doctors make it sound like your doing something stupid and dangerous I guess. My mum is fully supportive of what I am doing she beleives I can do it, My husband says he needs to read more on it so I have offered to print him out some info off this site to give him some more confidence. I dont have alot of support here regarding a Vbac. Hubbys mum thinks I should schedule a C section and not to be so stupid. I have faith I can do it, I just want to make sure everything is right before I try, I want to do the best I can to get him in the right position to make it easier, and I would really love to stay home during my labour, your story has given me more inspiration to do so, and if I go to term I definitely will be pushing to go post term if me and bubby is fine. I am a little worried though cause I have to travel an hour or more to the nearest hospital who supports Vbac, so I am not sure if I go into labour when I should get in the car and go... pretty scary, but I guess all kinds of childbirth is isnt it? I know with my C section and being awake was scary, and they couldnt get the epi in tried 3 times until success! this is why I want to do it naturally this time what feels right to my body, I want to experience it, this will be our last baby and as crazy as it sounds, I want to know what labour feels like when other women talk about it, and to experience holding my baby after all of that hard effort.

thanks for showing that it is possible to do - I think I need alot of that at the moment. I only have people telling me that I can't. so thanks!

Surround yourself with people that believe in your ability to birth. Stay at home as long as you can so you dont get sucked into the birth production line at the hospy and put on the clock and under pressure to push the baby out in x amount of hours. Birth talk are a brisbane based organization that do birth preparation classes specifically for VBAC you could contact them they also have an online newsletter or do a private consultation> Also just wanted to add any hospital that says it is not safe for you to birth there just because you are having a VBAC then it is not safe for any woman to birth there or anyone to go there for any other medical or surgical emergency, it is just more scaremongering. Dont fall for it !!!
    Last edited by smiley10P; February 14th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

I doubt you will get unbiased info from an ob, they tell you all the risks of having VBAC, I have had 2CS now and have got into a hospital that will support my VBAC2 attempt. I am having midwives through caseload, on the condition that I also check in with an ob, this week and at 36 weeks. (I think that was the obs condition, not the midwifes...) If you ask an ob to give you the medical references based on which they are making statements such as going over increases chance of rupture, big baby increases chance of rupture etc. they will not have answers. They will either get defensive or say from what they have seem, in which case you ask them how many VBACs they have attended, how many hsyterectomies they have performed, ask them for their statistics, you are not a patient, but a client interviewing an ob to see if they are up to the job. Other countries simply do trial of labour after multiple CS, and do not encounter problems. Information is power, intervention in birth, which is more often than not an attempt to wrest control out of natures hands and into the hands of the ob can and often does lead to other problems. Ask for second opinions, lots of why, comparisons, and when it comes down to it, just say NO. No signature, no CS.
    Good luck!!
    Kate

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123