Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Strep B & VBAC

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    Posts
    6,449

    Default Strep B & VBAC

    Had my 36 week appointment today, the one that they normally like to do the strep b swab. I politely asked the midwife about the clinic policy on testing and she just stated that she "was not in the mood for an argument". When I got to speak to OB, he was quite defensive and rattled of some info which just did not match what I had been reading. I stated that I was concerned about any additional levels of intervention and time restrictions being added to my vbac due to a positive swab at 36 weeks, when I could be clear at the time of labour. I was dismissed and he went on about being induced if need be. Quite odd, as all 4 other obs I have seen at the clinic have said no about induction and I it is not something I want either. Very annoyed at the lack of information they are providing and that they do not ask, just assume that they have my consent for these things.

    I know for some that taking antibiotics is nothing, but I have been really struggling with thrush and suffered from nipple thrush last time. I want to avoid anything that will interfere with successful breastfeeding this time around. Also I am not a fan of ab's unless there is an actual need, rather than a threatened need.



    I had a chat to one of my team midwives who was much more clear about the risks and have complained to the clinic about my treatment. I will be seeing one of the consultants next week to find out what is meant to be happening and not a registrar. So what do I do? Do I have the swab, hope like hell it is negative, or do I still refuse and then have to deal with the "I told you so's" if this bubs ends up very ill? I assume next week I will have a clearer idea of what restrictions will be placed on me, which might help me make that decision.

  2. #2
    feeb's Avatar
    feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    melb
    Posts
    8,505

    Default

    Hi astrid gee your preg has gone fast!!! Not long now!!!

    With a Vbac they would not induce you anyway and if your waters break and you are gbs positive you should hope and pray you start contracting!!

    OR

    Decline the swab which you are quite at liberty to do and they can moniter babies temperature for 48 hours pre each feed and IF baby shows sickness they can take some blood and go from there.

    How rude of her to say not in mood for argument!!!

    Demand to see someone senior next appt and lay down what you do and dont want!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    Thanks for the info feeb. Think I might need to do some printing out before I see the ob next week, so I don't forget anything I need to know once I am in there.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,955

    Default

    When I went for my hosp visit at 34 or 36 weeks (can't remember) the midwife told me briefly that I would be seeing the Dr that day and that she would be doing the swap. I told her that I would not be having it done. She gave me the literature to read whilst in the waiting room, didn't even look at it. It seemed it was her job to also pursuade me to agreeing to all the newborn shots too. Which I did not do.

    Come the time for me to see the Dr I just told her firmly that I was choosing not to have the swap done as I too was aware of the chances of it being positive now and not at birth and also the fact that I was planning a homebirth anyway.

    If you do not want the swab done refuse it. They can't make you do anything you do want done in the first place.

    As for the time limits, the best way to avoid those being put on you as a VBAC is to stay at home as long as possible and when you do go in lie about how long you have been labouring for

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2

    Default

    HI Astrid, I am the same as you....trying for VBAC and tested +ve for Strep B last preg. My ob hasn't tested me this time, but that's probably because the last two times I've 'supposed' to have seen him, he was out on a delivery and I only saw his midwife.
    You've got me thinking about the antibiotic's though and the effect that the intervention may have on labour
    What to do, what to do huh??? I see my ob again on Monday (hopefully) so I'll ask more then. he is quite encouraging for VBAC so maybe he'll be able to give me come info I can pass on to you. Fingers crossed.
    Cheers,
    Renee

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In my Zombie proof fortress.
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    Thanks ladies - I was beginning to feel very alone in this matter.

Similar Threads

  1. VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4
    By Astrolady in forum Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC), HBAC & Vaginal Breech Birth
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: December 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM
  2. The Assault on Normal Birth: The Ob Disinformation Campaign by Henci Goer
    By BellyBelly in forum Birth Information & Education - Articles and Clips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
  3. Recommended VBAC Books & Resources
    By BellyBelly in forum Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC), HBAC & Vaginal Breech Birth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
  4. VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2
    By nellbe in forum Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC), HBAC & Vaginal Breech Birth
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: January 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •