Thread: VBA2C If possible, Where and how to get Dr's to listen?

Default VBA2C If possible, Where and how to get Dr's to listen?

Hi guys,
    I am planning our third baby,After two children delivered by c'section. 1st was emergancy as he was stuck in the birth canal, 2nd was 36hour labour, and the labour ward in a small hospital needed the room i wasnt progessing fast enough to suit them. Quicker to be knife happy then labour me longer. I did in fact refuse to sign the form, so they took my husband aside and gave him the quilt trip to sign the paper as my next of kin.

Anyway... I visited to DR today to book appointment to get out my merina (Contraceptive) When i asked about who, where and what to do about trying for a VBA2C (Vaginal Birth After 2 C'sections) He laughed, I nearly burst into tears! He laughed and me told he unless i find a DR with a free love hippy sense of treating Pregnancys i will not be able to deliver vaginally. I refused and tried to stand my ground, he said okay do what u want and opened the door (for me to leave) he turned to my husband and said 'if u need cancelling just let me know" laughed and shut the door! I am horrified!

I know it is my choice, i know the risks of scar rupture (The risk of rupture for a VBAC is 0.7%. The risk for VBA2C is 0.9%.) And also know the risk of Having an Epidural Anesthesia Via another C'section. An do beleive the best thing for my body and future baby is a vaginal birth.

However i am finding it seemingly hard to find an DR to take serious. We just moved into the Brisbane area from country Victoria, And have no idea where to start looking or what to say to the Dr to convince him that it is the best option for me.
    i would also like to know if i have the right to say i want VBA2C then how do i go about this?

Why is it okay to accept the risks of multible C'sections and not the rick for VBA2C???
    There is just as many complications and "possible situations" for each.

If someone either knows some infomation i can give or tell the next DR i visit, the info and reason why VBA2C is better? Could u let me know.
    Or if u know a DR in brisbane that is open to the idea of VBA2C?
    Well i'd even be open to some info on why the DR are so closed off about the subject?

Whereabouts in Brisbane are you? My cousin tried for a VBAC at Selangor at Nambour on the Sunshine Coast. Unfortunately due to complications she ended up having a cs but they were very supportive. Good luck!

I am inbetween Brisbane and Ipswich, All my Dr's were happy to let me do VBAC with my second, She to was c'section birthed but being the third labour/pregnancy they wont even let me talk about it.

Your best chance of a VBAC would be a home birth. Perhaps start chatting to some independent midwives- I'm sure you'll find the response is much better and more educated about what a VABC actaully means and entails

My OB on the Sunshine Coast was more than happy to support me on my quest for a VBA2C. She works out of Selangor hospital - definitely the most pro vbac hospital that I have ever heard of.

If you can get up to the sunny coast, I'd be going up there if I were you!!

Oh - and don't let anyone put you off. Its not "laughable" and "ridiculous" - it can be done, and its not too risky. So don't let them talk you out of it, if its what you truly desire.

Thanx, I truly do want to have a sucessfull VBA2C, I am not open to home birth what so ever! My children are here all the time and Its not something i have ever wanted. I LOVE the idea of hospital and like being there when labouring, I just dont like how they seem to think its okay to cut me open coz its easyier! i would like to know where i can get some facts about SUCESSFULL VBA2C! so i can go in there guns blazing!

When i told the Dr the few things i knew he just started laughing. And i have got the impression i am thinking of my own selfish wants and needs before the unborn child. :S got me thinking, u know it plays on your nerves when someone thinks that

I don't think you are being selfish, its well known that labour and vaginal birth is more beneficial to a newborn than a c-section birth.

What kind of facts are you after? There are a few women on here that have had successful VBA2C's - and I'm one of them.

Well i am worried the scare tactis they'll use on me.
    I thought about getting asmuch info on VBA2C and writting it down... Showing them all the POSITIVE infomation, and stories about how it has been done before.

I know for a fact they are going to say i am putting myself before my babys needs, the two DR i have seen and eaither said it or hinted it. How do i put them in there place?

And how do i find a Dr that will do it? Do i have to get a midwife? Today was told i needed to find a happy OB that'll even birth me! already starting the tactics! I know if i go to the hospital and dont sign the form they can make me to it. But how do u get the nerve to tell them to get in there place and do as i want LOL.

When the time comes. I want to have a postive experiance with my VBA2C not feel like i have to fight everyone to do it? Is that to much to ask for?

Seriously, with most hospitals you DO have to fight for it unfortunately.

I went with an independent birth centre down here in tassie for mine (cos we moved) but I was quite happy with my care in queensland until we moved when I was 28 weeks. I didn't have to fight for anything with my OB or the hospital, and the midwives there were fully supportive of VBAC's too.

I think if you walk into a doctor and they start sprouting stuff about "you putting yourself before your baby's needs".. then perhaps you need to find another doctor. You don't want to have to fight it - seriously - there is enough pressure on you to begin with. So get off on the right foot and get supportive OB's or midwives in the first place - then it'll all be smooth sailing

Good luck.