Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 41

Thread: vbac - is anyone else trying?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default vbac - is anyone else trying?

    Hi I have been hooting around here for a while and dont think I have found anyone else who's attempting a vbac. Is there anyone out there, who's got their fingers crossed to have one??? I have delivered 2 babes vaginally, and 1 emergency csec, and out of the 2 ways would really love this little one to be vbac, I have been researching it, but was hoping to find someone to talk to about the pro's n cons.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Good on you Vanita - risk of rupture is really, really low so I think if that's what you want to do, go for it I'm writing an article on VBAC and have some good resources for reference so I will see if I can finish it off in time for the May update
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Thanks Kelly to be honest I do feel like I'm odd for wanting this, or even thinking about it, some people( not on here) dont seem to have even heard of the term vbac. Am feeling a touch, "freaky" for this desire.

  4. #4

    Default

    Vanita,

    Well done on wanting to try VBAC.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    I know Cailin will be trying for one with her next bubby, so there are those around who are into it too Hopefully will hear more when the article is done
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chickens.
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    Me Me Me! I wanna VBAC!

    Although it depends on my health and bubba's health. Here's hoping!

    (first was an emergency c/s for pre-eclampsia, IUGR and decelerating heartbeat)

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,171

    Default

    Vanita, Trish had a VBAC (home waterbirth) with her little girl Tehya last month. I'm sure she'll pop in & tell you all about it

  8. #8
    juzzy7 Guest

    Default

    I had a VBAC with my twins, due to Dr wanting me to give birth vaginally, not me. :fuming:

    I had an emergency c/s at 33 weeks with Blake & as you know, takes awhile to recover. We live in a small country town so when I found out it was twins with the next pregnancy, Dr informed me that they would be born by c/s, no questions asked & myself & DH were happy with this due to the concerns of the 2nd twin turning after the 1st is born.

    I was going along great, when my waters broke at 32.1weeks!! Flown to Canberra when I was given the steroids & drugs to stop labour. They worked until 8.30pm when my contractions started again. I had told the Dr we wanted a c/s & he just looked at me like I was an idiot. Needless to say, I got no Drugs (not from want of asking mind you :fuming: ) & they were born at 12.24 & 12.34am the next morning.

    Sorry for the ramble but after all that, if/when we have another baby, natural for me. The recovery was so much quicker & I didn't have to worry about my guts falling out either. 8-[

    HTH & pm if you want any more details.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Thanks guys, Divvy have you done any research or anything? Juzzy congrats on managing it!! Even if it wasnt what you'd planned.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outer East, Melbourne
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Hi - I had an emergerncy CS with caitlin and first thought i would like to go a natural birth this time, but when I think of all the crap I went thru the first time and the fact that I can't remember much about her birth, at least with an elective CS, I'd be in control and know what was going on.

    I had no trouble getting over the CS last time, I was out of bed 12 hours later and (dont tell anyone) I drove 9 days after that. There's no prizes for how you get them out, so I'm not too fussed about it.

    Barb.


  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Vanita I want to have a VBAC for my next (which we hope will be sometime next year). At first I thought forget it, I'm not going through all that pain and then end up with a CS again. But after some time I would so much rather a vaginal birth. With Alana having CF and a 1 in 4 chance the next could also, I just won't have the time to be recovering from a CS. And I spend enough time in hospital as it is with Alana's appointments.

    My OB said that I have an 85% chance of being able to have a VBAC. I think thats pretty good odds. If he said 15%, I would say forget it!

    Kelly, I'll be really interested in reading that article once you have finished.

    Vanita I hope that you have success.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Thanks my OB thinks i have a good chance as I had to have my csec due to bubs presentation, she was oblique lie ( diagonal) and was only classified emergency coz my labour was progressing so fast.
    He said as long as theres at least 18 months between births the chance of intrauterine rupture are approx 1- 2% ( which is pretty low)
    What cracks me up though is that I'm classified "high risk" coz Im post csec, but my Ob runs a vbac clinic, and I have been put under a midwife program only open to low risk cases, as its proven if you have a good support it increases the success of vbacs by heaps!! Daft hey.

    Am still slightly nervous about the lie of bubs, not so much delivering, but getting it in the right postion!!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Vanita, as Sarah said I had a VBAC in March. After calling up several hospitals to enquire I found tha they would all have me as a high risk patient and that I would require constant monitoring, which meant staying in bed and not aloud to move around too much.

    As I really wanted an active birth too I decided to go for a homebirth. I found that the Dr's at the hosp. would start to talk about the risk of uterine rupture. Did you know that it is actually more common in women who haven't had uterine surgery (c section) than it is for women who have. I also found that information was power. I did alot of research about VBAC's so I had come backs whenever IO was faced with these discusions. Also waterbirths are actually prefered by some OB's (mostly overseas ones where waterbirths are more common) as it is far gentler on the womans body.

    If you want anymore info on VBAC's email me or let me know and I will send you in the right direction.

    Read my birth story to see how it all went. It's Teyha's Home waterbirth. Not sure how to make a link to it.

    Take care
    Trish

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Trish congratulations on managing a successful vbac,I have always dreamed of a home/waterbirth, but to be honest something just stops me from actually doing it , I would love some more info, and tips into getting there. Thanks for the birth story too, very inspiring.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Vanita, I will email you some details for you.


    Take care
    Trish

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Thanks for that Trish, Vanita

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Am getting nervous now, all my kids have been born early, so am not expecting to go much more than 6 weeks from now, and am confident in my ability to birth the bub, but not in the uterus rupture, I mean I know that the odds are rare, but what if,, YKWIM.

    Good news though, bubs is staying head down ( has been for 3 weeks now)

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney's Norwest
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Vanita, I guess that thought is always in the back of your head but as you said the insidence of it happening is very rare. Given the fact that you are delivering in hosp too they will c section in a split second if they think that is happening, apparently it is really painful(above and beyond labour)and the pain is still there after contracions so you'd know if it were happening.

    Good luck for it all and hopefully this bub decides to stay put for a bit longer.


    Take care
    Trish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •