Thread: VBAC Big babies?

Default VBAC Big babies?

My DD was born by EC when induction didn't work at 10days overdue. Her birth weight turned out to be 10lb 2oz. My ob has indicated that a second baby would also likely be big and though I really wanted a natural waterbirth the first time, now I worry that trying to go VBAC would put a lot of pressure on the scars. Maybe it would not even be an issue, I'm not sure, but the thought of bursting a scar makes me very nervous! Does anyone have any experiences with VBAC of big babies?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Your scar is strong and rupture rate is 0.07% - that means 99.93% chance it wont. Amnios have 1% miscarriage rate but women do that! Also you have to bear in mind that the study was not only for VBAC women, so it would probably be even less. The main thing is to not be induced, as that increases risk of rupture. Induction on its own even in a first time mother, carries risk of uterine rupture but how many women have inductions every single day? Worse still, how many do not know that this is a risk when they accept or ask for inductions?!

Anyways, I think you should go for it - some labour is better than none and you'll never know if you don't give it a go! My first bub was 6lb10oz, second 5lb15oz. So they aren't always around the same size or bigger.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sacha, I fully agree with kelly, You will never know if you don't give it a try, so if you can try for a VBAC, definately go for it girl!

Kelly, Just another question about uterine rupture. I know the risk is very very small but how long do you think I should wait between pregnancies if I am wanting a VBAC? I was wanting to start TTC #2 when DD is about 10-12 months old but I wasn't sure if I would be told by my Ob that the pregnancies are too close together. I really really want a VBAC or at least to be able to experience some labour as last time I ended up having an elective CS under a general anaesthetic (the anaesthetist couldnt get the epidural in!) because I had pre-eclampsia and DD wasn't engaged so my OB said a CS was my only option

Just another quick question. I am a registered user but how do I become a member of BB? I am pretty new to this

You are a BB member as soon as you hit 50 posts, but if you mean a Platinum Member then the details are in the forum help forum

I think Obs like you to wait at least 12 months before trying again... someone correct me if I am wrong?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey Sacha,
    I don't know from personal experience but a friend of mine had a VBAC - she had a waterbirth and her baby was over 9lb! It definately can be done
    All the best

paradise lost Guest

Watch this movie. It's all you need to know

Bx
    Last edited by paradise lost; February 16th, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: correcting link

Thanks kelly

Wow, Hoobley, that was amazing. My Ob told me I'd probably need another caesar because she said that the fact that DD's head wasn't engaged indicates that my pelvis is too small to fit a baby through. That vid just goes to show that CPD is a crock in a lot of cases.

Given our population, I truly believe mother nature doesn't put babies in our bodies that don't fit (excluding rare medical conditions of course). We are evolution. Our pelvises made it though evolution - survival of the fittest! There is no place for 'small pelvises' otherwise our species would not survive.
    Kelly xx

Kelly xx

My son was 9lb11oz and I had no problems what so ever It can be done, BellyBelly has a high number of members who have all had successful VBAC's so you are amongst good company!

Thanks everyone. I know my OB is keen on VBAC (Dr Trueman at John Flynn if anyone is interested) and I feel much more reassured about going for it when the time comes. Now just have to figure out how long I want to wait before TTC!

Just wanted to add CPD is a crock of [email protected], you can do it go for it !!!!!.

My VBAC baby was only 8lb 13oz, but her head circumferance was bigger than my second baby.

Hey Sacha,

That's good that your OB is pro VBAC. I had heard that John Flynn are very into minimal medical intervention where possible. I am on the Gold Coast too. My OB is Dr Penelope Isherwood at Pindara. She is pro VBAC also, although I'll have to work on her a bit when it comes to her CPD theories I think!

Sounds like you're keen to try for #2. I think I'll start TTC when DD is 12 months.