Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #3

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

nic, at 8lbs I doubt a week would add a pound or two, even then women birth 10-12lb babies with no problems. The induction article on the main site touches on GD inductions as there was a study (could have been a Cochrane Review of studies) which said that with inductions for GD it only resulted in more caesars without any benefit - there was no increased death etc.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Debbie Lee Guest

Nic - yep... labour hurts. But imo it's a necessary pain... if that makes sense. I'm also scared of how much it's going to hurt but I also know it's not gonna last forever. I dunno... I think you've just gotta be brave when it comes to labour and see it as a challenge rather than something to fear.
    As for the size of the baby... there's a thread somewhere that firefly started recently in regard to this issue here. 8lb 9oz isn't a big baby if you ask me! My friend just had a natural birth with a 10lb2oz baby! Generally the size of the baby has nothing to do with it.

I won't let them induce me even if they want to... I'll never go through that again.

ETA: I also think sometimes it's easier to go with "the devil you know"... iykwim? After having Gabby, I always assumed I'd just have another c/s if I got pregnant again. After all... it wasn't so bad... I recovered well and Gab was healthy... but I've since changed my mind. Too many things contributed to me having to have a c/s that could have been avoided and there were too many repercussions from me having major surgery (BFing issues... guilt from not spending the first night with my baby etc.)
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; January 17th, 2007 at 12:14 PM.

ah ok thanks thats what I thought it was. I will have to find out what cut my uterus has

Nic I think you'll find most C/s in the past 5 years have the transverse cut or horizontal on all layers. The only ones with the old way would be back of the car emergency types, iykwim? I had an emergency c/s with my first and it was a transverse cut.

And the weight thing... OMG a scan told me two days before labour that I was having an 11lb baby... but nope, she was 8lb 13oz. Normal.

Debbie Lee Guest

I asked my doc the other day about the single or double fold suture (sp?). He reckons it doesn't make a difference?

I think understanding/interpreting your body and what your baby is doing can have a huge impact in that, which is why I go on about the Pink Kit. An Aussie Doula had a birth recently where the mother had done the Pink Kit, and close to second stage, recognised that the baby was sitting on her coccyx. So she adopted the positions they suggest in the Pink Kit and the baby just about shot out. She did it! She recognised where there was a hold up and rectified it - you can imagine the confidence these women have after such a birth. The Pink Kit has a separate VBAC component for an extra $20-$30 I think.

The thing about it that I love is that it teaches you to feel the different bones in your pelvis, and to work out your own unique shape, e.g. have a straight coccyx, curved, short and it tells you how you can make the most of that shape in labour - so you are in control! It teaches partners too so they can help you and you both feel like it was your birth.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

My first baby was 9lb 2oz, 54cm long as had a 40.5cm head. I birthed him naturally. Mum birthed a 10lber with no probs (her 3rd).

And i agree with Deb - labour scares me. But its all worth it in the end, as it WONT last forever, and you end up with the best prize in the world

I have had one natural delivery so I'm not scared as such but its just the thought of hours in pain. I know a c/s is painful I have had 2 but I also recovered well.. I don't have anything negative to say about all 3 of my births

My last bub was my smallest so who knows what size I will have next. Our reason behind choosing a c/s with Jacob was because Isaac was so sick after he was born and we were scared the same thing was going to happen to Jacob. It was more of a matter of what if with Isaac. If I had laboured would he have survuved the birth?

What was wrong with him nic, why was he sick?
    Kelly xx

about 12 hours after he was born he stopped breathing and then a few hours after that he started having seizures. He spent 16 days in the SCN befire he came home. He was on medication to prevent any more seizures (he had his last seizure at 7 weeks of age) till he was 6 months old. The only thing his Dr can think of is that his oxygen was cut off for a short time just before he was born. The only other thing was a small part of his brain was misfiring. They did an MRI but they said that wasn't causing all his troubles. We still worry about him but he seems perfectly fine.

My vbac was with my son, who was 4625 gm born ( 10pd 4oz) so it can be done, and this was at 40 weeks, all my others were prem.

I understand it can be done. I know when Isaac was born a woman had given birth naturally to a 11lb baby..

It isnt so much the weight that concerns me but the shoulder width. I was told when pg with Isaac that the shoulders can get stuck which can cause problems. That was one of the reasons we chose a c/s. I guess the Dr scared us good and proper

Re him being sick it is so hard to know, I dont have enough knowledge to say why that could have happened and if it as a reaction to something or not... but I can understand your fear. I guess not all babies are going to have the same problem though? Hard to say...

The shoulders can get stuck but this is a positional thing. Unfortunately the only way they know how to fix that is with tools, but if you were to get yourself a private midwife or doula, they should know some positional tricks to help with that. You can also look up optimal fetal positioning, there is an article on the main site
    Kelly xx

Thanks I will look into that

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm feeling a bit frustrated atm.

I'm finding that when I share my thoughts about the birth I want to try and achieve with friends that they think I'm attacking their choices.... like they need to justify themselves. They think that I'm totally gun-ho natural.... that the pendulum has swung the opposite way. It's not that... I just don't want a repeat of what happened with Gabby. It's highly likely that I had a caesar because of all the intervention... so I want to avoid all the intervention if possible. I'm not anti-drugs or anti-intervention... IF they are truly necessary. However, I'm finding it hard to justify it to friends cos they have SO much faith in what doctors say.
    I guess I'm just feeling a bit disparaged....
    I get it from all angles. If I talk about how I want to BF and avoid formula this time, I'm apparently attacking friends that FF... urrgh!
    I use cloth nappies so apparently I'm anti-disposable and judge those that don't use cloth.

Just feeling a bit like I'm trying to be some kind of radical that doesn't want to "conform" but I'm SO not!
    I'm only using cloth cos other friends did... I'm a sheep if anything.
    Hek... I dunno if I'd even be bothering with all this research regarding birth if it wasn't for that fact that so many BB girls have talked about it.
    How do you do it? How do you stand up for what you want and not feel like you're making your friends feel like crap for their own choices??
    I also get frustrated when they come out with things (that previously I would have said too... to be fair) that I know aren't true (the big baby, small pelvis thing).
    Just so frrrrustrating!

I know what you mean. ((hugs))

Hahaha welcome to my world
    Kelly xx

Debbie Lee Guest

I knew you were gonna say that, Kelly
    You would cop it with far more intensity tho... so I guess I should stop complaining.
    Just seems to much easier to go with the flow..... but look where that got me!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast