Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #3

Deb, I was never told that I needed the syno because of a VBAC. I didn't have it at all after Tehya and had no bleeding problems at all. Tehya's placenta took 45 minutes before it came away which was no problem either. Not sure if the hospital would be "comfortable" in "allowing" that sort of length though.

With my brothers baby's birth 2 weeks ago it was in her birth plan not to have the synto, I had walked out of the room to grab mum and came in to see a midwfie about to inject her. Simone was too oblivious to realise what it was and I yelled, no synt, no synto. The midwfie pulled back the needle that fast. Then she asked what else was in the birth plan as she hadn't read it. I told her we were delaying cord clamping and all was fine. No arguements whatsoever. Despite the earlier problems we'd had with another midwife regarding the shot.

Thanks Deb! I'm very excited! We all need to cheer each other on hey!

Debbie Lee Guest

Trish - good on you for catching that midwife in time! I've been wording Neil up slowly so that he knows what I definitely don't want (told him to punch someone if they try an episiotomy!! PMSL).
    The midwife the other day implied that it's the doctor that makes the decision about the synto injection... so I'll talk to my doctor about it. If he's determined that I should have it, then I guess I'll argue after the birth

Linda - for sure It's a scary but exciting decision to make and it helps to be able to nash it out with other people.

A friend of mine from ABA had her bub yesterday. She was going for a VBAC at the same hospital as me. So I was really keen to hear all about it....

Anyway, she had a beautiful baby boy - 9lb4oz - vaginally!!! Yeehaa!!

I was mostly keen to hear all the details of it though, and was thrilled with what I heard. Her OB (my OB) stayed with her for ages, cancelling appts because she wanted to stay & offer her support. 3 midwives also stayed, also just because they wanted to support her through it (it was obviously quiet at the time, but I'm sure they still had a million things to do). I think this is just amazing! Also, they didn't keep her strapped down with the monitors. They monitored her intermittently, but she was able to be active & use the shower etc as much as she wanted to.

I am just so thrilled to hear that my hospital & OB were such a huge support in this situation, it is fantastic!

Now this may be a silly Q, but I don't really know a lot about the synto injection. I know it's given to speed the delivery of the placenta. But I don't really know all the pros & cons. Can anyone fill me in?

Debbie, our hospital recommends (its ur decision though) that all women have the synto injection, there were medical reasons, eg; to prevent unnecessary heomoraging (sp?) from part of the placenta not coming out properly & putting mothers life at risk (or something along those lines), not just VBACs. After I heard the reasons behind it (in Antental classes), I was all for it.

That's great news Linda, that would put ur mind more at ease.

I personally have had it after each birth, and it has not been an issue for me - but some women do not like any intervention - so this includes the synto injection, as women delivered their own placenta's before synto was invented KWIM??

mrmoo Guest

I had the synto injection after my last birthing (a vbac) as I didn't want the risk of it sticking again, as it did during my second birthing. No probs though, it came away fine and complete... and so big too!!! I'd never really seen one before, wow and weird!!!

I didn't want the synto injection as I didn't want any interference & I wanted the cord to stop pulsating prior to clamping. They won't let the cord stop naturally if you have the injection. BUT in the end the cord stopped 10 minutes after Jovie was born and then they gave the injection because there was a bit of bleeding going on and they wanted the placenta out. Then the placenta came out 2 minutes after the injection so it didn't even get a chance to work before it came out naturally!!

I didn't want the injection, but cos I was bleeding a fair bit they wanted it out asap so I had it.

Default Which way to go....

I'm seriously considering trying VBAC with my next child, I had two c-sections previously the first because i developed pre-eclampsia during labour, and the second was elective. Although i tried to tell myself and everyone around me that it was because i'd had a previous one and the risks etc.. the truth was i was scared. I'm regretting it now because of the recovery, I had trouble really bonding with my baby because I was so focused on how I was feeling with my aches and pains etc..
    I've been looking up videos of different styles of births on the internet to see what each is like to broaden my knowledge before i make a final decision, and I found one of those live american surgery broadcasts of a c-section which I found quite interesting to see what the doctors had done to me.

It was quite informative however and though i take alot of what these doctors say with a pinch of salt, there was a question brought up that i wouldn't mind elaboration on if anyone knows about it. The Doctor said that about 70% of VBACs go to have a sucessful birth, but what happens to the other 30%? are some of them cases where the scar ended up splitting requiring an emergency c-section? or can you change your mind when you're in labour and don't think you can do it and still opt for a c-section? Just curious as to what happens to the other 30%...
    Last edited by christy; April 17th, 2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Link in post

I think the 30% is made up of VBACs that end up in another C/S. So definitely not all of them have uterine rupture - only a very small percentage (I think around 1%?).

becmc Guest

Uterine rupture is very very rare, therefore a vbac is just like any other normal birth. The 30% would definately be made up of women that change their mind when in labour, and opt for a c/s. So the chance for a vbac is like any other women having a birth.
    I tell everyone I am having a vbac, not just trying for a vbac. The 'trial of labour' term really annoys me.

you mean you can actually change your mind after labour has started? I thought once it started they like to keep going and don't really give you the choice unless they think things aren't going well?
    I dunno if i like the idea of that if it's the case, i'd hate to be in labour and get scared and change my mind and then regret it after just because i had the option and i wigged out

TBH It depends on your support team I remember BEGGING to have #4 out as another csec - but my "team" ( mum, hubby, midwife) saying NO WAY......

But there is a percentage that CANT deliver their vbac ie baby in distress, lack of progress etc etc ( just like any "normal" birth)

As for not wanting to start and not be able to finish, well my csec was an emerg. My contx were 2 mins apart, and I was 7 cm dilated, but bubs was diagonal and a foot hanging out - so off the theatre and whip her out. BUT the best thing about labouring ( even if thats not the way you eventually get bubs out) is labour releases the hormones which stimulate bubs to breathe, mums milk to flow. Look into it, coz as I said - even if you do "wigg" out, its better to labour a bit first ( for both of your sakes)

becmc Guest

Though I would think that a mum starting to freak out(generally at the point they got to last time) during a vbac, would then put the baby under stress too, so they would be more likely to agree to a c/s.
    That is why I am having my baby at home, away from all the stress, and 'supposed' lack of progress etc. I will have a great support team too though, and if we did go to hospital I know that they would be an advocate for me as much as they could.

New thread time girls

Love

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678