Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Default VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Are you looking to have a EBAC or Empowered Birth After Caesarean? Looking for some support or have a question? Post your thoughts here.

According to the Birthrites website, the risk for uterine rupture in a VBAC is extremely low. They state, "The likelihood of uterine rupture with attempted VBAC is 0.5%. (0.2% uterine rupture, 1.1% asymptomatic dehiscence from case control studies). The risk of hysterectomy and perinatal death from uterine rupture are 0.05% and 0.07% respectively in hospitals equipped to provide rapid laparotomy. (Australian VBAC study)"

VBAC RESOURCES

Birthrites (Aus) Lots of info on caesareans and VBAC
    ICAN - International Caesarean Awareness Network
    VBAC.com - Provides childbearing women and maternity care professionals access to research-based information, resources, continuing education and support for VBAC
    CARES-SA

Books

Birth After Caesarean, Unlimited Possibilities by Caroline Daniels
    Caesarean Birth...Making Informed Choices (Birthrites Booklet, AUS)
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth by Henci Goer - good section on VBAC and other important birth topics
    The VBAC Companion by Diane Korte
    Silent Knife by Nancy Cohen
    The Birth of Aasha (DVD) by Tara and Garfield Darlington - a VBAC birth
    Obstetric Myths versus Research Realities by Henci Goer

Last thread can be found here
    Last edited by BellyBelly; January 2nd, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Hi guys...

We are looking at possibly TTC # 2 in October...

I had an emergency c-sect with Alexa - she was born at 32 weeks gestation..

My big concern about having a VBAC is that with Alexa having born early I didnt have a big belly at all & I am worried that if I was to go to full term this time there would be alot more stress on my uterus scar than normal as it hadnt been totally stretched before.... hence a higher risk of uterine rupture!!!

Anyone had a EBAC/VBAC at full term after having a preterm c/sect???

Hope that made sense....

Thanks

yep, mine wasnt as preterm, but my first two were born vaginally at 33 weeks, and then my csec girl was 36 weeks ( she weighed 7 pd 9) My vbac was term, and weighed 4625gms, ( 10 pd 3) so I dont think it really makes a difference to you uterus how term or how big bubs is, a contx is a muscle "cramp' and dont think it matters the size of the bub IYKWIM???

Thanks for you reply Vanita...

i am jsut looking at my options for when # 2 is on the way!!!

I have a question for you all.

Do you think it matters if I get a doula and she does not have VBAC experience?
    I have found a lady that I like but she has nearly finished her training and has not had one herself nor supported one.

I have a supportive Ob but I want extra backup for my own peace of mind.

TIA

I wouldnt think it mattered if she had experience, as long as she would support you and stick by your decisions I think that would be more important. good luck

HotMumma - I don't think so at all. I am getting a friend as my 'doula'. She doesn't have VBAC experience, but very positive natural births. THat is really important I think. And like Vanita said, as long as you are both on the same page, then it should be fine!

Thanks girls,

I have sent her a email and I hope to hear from her soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

What books are the best to get for a VBAC? I can only afford a couple and I would like to get them now.

I have chosen the hospital and Ob so I have got that far by myself. I am currently 14 weeks.

TIA

I got the pink kit. Haven't really had a chance to get into it yet, but it was highly recommended to me.

"The Thinking Womans Guide to Better Birth", that one was amazing for me as well as "Silent Knife" I got them off Amazon & found them to be invaluable. In fact, I've lent them to other VBAC hopefuls in the past

Quote Originally Posted by *Linda* View Post
    I got the pink kit. Haven't really had a chance to get into it yet, but it was highly recommended to me.
    Linda once you have had a good chance to get into it and have read it, please give me some feedback.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    "The Thinking Womans Guide to Better Birth", that one was amazing for me as well as "Silent Knife" I got them off Amazon & found them to be invaluable. In fact, I've lent them to other VBAC hopefuls in the past
    Thanks I will look on Amazon and hopefully buy them both.

Will do! I start maternity leave next week so am planning on getting stuck into it then. I have given it to my friend who is coming to the birth in the meantime so she can read it. She said it's been really interesting. Even though she has had 2 natural births she said she has learned a lot from it.

That is good to hear Linda about your friend learning stuff out of it. I have looked into buying it before but I was not to sure it was suitable for VBAC.

It's not VBAC specific, but certainly still benificial for a VBAC.

Janet Guest

Hi I birthed my daughter at home in July 2006 after a hb turned transfer to c-sec for my son in 2003. It was just a birth VBAC = Birth. Simple. I'm happy to talk about my birth if anyone is interested. LMK!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast