Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Quote Originally Posted by rufalina View Post
    I got told that my placenta was forming posterior at my 12w scan, but she didn't go into any detail... Going to ask OB at my appt next week though to check it out JIC... But assuming that posterior would be OK cause scar is at the front???
    Yup I'm hoping mine is posterior

Just a little scar envy here... mine is red and quite visible...

Did you put any cream on it Ruf? I used a fantastic cream on mine the first time round - and omg - I swear its a miracle cream - you can barely see my scar - even the second time round. Actually, I don't even know if she used the old incision or cut along a new line!! lol.. hard to see down there these days with my fat gut hanging over it.. lol

Ruf, definitely try a cream if you haven't already...I used Palmers Scar Serum..worked wonders....my appendix scar isn't so great looking. I was 17.5 weeks pregnant when they had to take it out and so the scar is jagged and bumpy but it's turned white now. I still rub the scar serum into both scar lines.

Quote Originally Posted by rufalina View Post
    Just a little scar envy here... mine is red and quite visible...
    Going by your ticker, your scar is only a year old? give it time, i never bothered with anything on mine time takes care of it... although as I was saying to Mum the other day...I'm not exactly going to be in a bikini again anyway...my scar is the least of my worries!

Switching for a minute - saw the Dr at hosp for my 36 week appt today. haven't seen this one before (the joys of shared care).

She asked me first have we decided how we are birthing...'yes I am having a VBAC' (very firmly). She says good, good, what have we discussed... and as we get around to the subject of induction I told her I am quite keen to go as far as possible past my due date...(that was also ok although I feel there might be a bit of discussion if we get to that point kwim)...

...but on the subject of induction, she says well we won't induce you. I told her it seems that depending on who I speak to there I get a different response each time, and she laughed and said yeah that would be right...

So her POV is that if my cervix is favourable, they might break my waters..that's it. No gel or synto or anything else, just ARM if I'm already dilated.
    Otherwise, straight in for another CS.

I can't even decide how I feel about this... becasue I'm still not sure what will happen. Is this hospital policy or does it depend on which Dr happens to be on at the time? I'm really confused now & can't sort out how I feel about either option (or if I even have one!)

So starting today, DH & I will be doing everything we can to get things moving ... and hope it won't even be an issue. But it annoys me that after all the visits & discussions, I still can't be sure exactly what will happen if I DO go post-dates.

Is this worse in the public system? What experiences have the rest of you had?

Hey Jas

My OB was quite willing to do that balloon thing to induce me, but thats it. And only if my cervix was favourable. Any other type of induction is way too risky as it puts too much pressure on our scars - abnormal pressure - that wouldn't arise if we went into labour naturally.

Try all the natural inductions though - my OB is perfectly happy with that. And she was also fine for me to go 42 +5 over - but we didnt' make it that far because my placenta and cord were deteriorating and Miss M was suffering a bit inside, so she had to be out asap.

Given that information, my OB still said she would induce me if I wanted to, but wasn't going to recommend that because she wasn't sure how the placenta and cord would go during the birth - or if Miss M was going to survive it. It was far too risky for me - after all, we all want a lovely VBAC and everything, but not to the expense of our children.

This time round, I'm starting the natural induction methods early, so if it does come to me being induced, my cervix *should* be favourable.

Jasp, my ob was very definite about no induction with gels or drip. But I was private so only saw 1 ob. From everything i have read you should be happy about what the ob said today. I wouldn't want to be induced even if the doctor was willing to do it, too risky in my opinion.
    Hardly anyone goes beyond 42 weeks so just relax and let it happen, it is still early days.

Jasp, my OB also said I wouldn't be induced at all due to the risk and pressure it puts on the scar. Not sure how far post dates he'll let me go, we haven't discussed that yet. I doubt I'll go post dates because DS was 3weeks 1day early...does anyone know if your first is early, then your 2nd is early as well? Anytime from the 1st Jan I'll be happy to go into labour. My OB is on holidays at xmas until the 31st Dec and even though I know his backups are pro-VBAC as well I just don't trust them as much iykwim. Oh another thing the OB said is that it would be unlikely I would be allowed to have an epidural because it can mask the pain of uterine rupture (not that I'm wanting to have an epi).

Ok thanks everyone that does shed some light on it.

I hadn't decided whether I even wanted to be induced if it came to that, i was worried about the risks, but I also don't want another CS... so I was undecided. I guess it looks like it doesn't even matter! I just wish the docs could all be on the same page

I am thinking perhaps the other Drs I saw were not sure of my situation or something. Either way, I will expect not to be induced.. and Mel, like you I'm trying all the natural methods early...starting the EPO tonight at least. I figure if it takes a couple of weeks for things to swing around, well that's fine, and if I can get my cervix favourable that's good too.

So I will just go with the thought that whatever happens, happens. All I really want at the end of it is a healthy baby anyway (and in the meantime lets hope sooner rather than later! )

Laranna I'm not sure about whether you could expect to go early this time... from various things I have read here the only thing I think we can all count on is that it will be different! But I would think it makes it less likely that you will go over, kwim? Whereas I have always been late (but managed to avoid induction with the first 2). So I am kind of expecting to be late. On the other hand this is the first time I have really been certain of my dates. So who knows.

oh - and DH thinks I will go early but I have told him that is most likely wishful thinking...he calls it 'men's intuition'

Good luck to us all hehe

Hi VBAC girls,

I can't remember if I've posted to this thread before

I'm hoping to VBAC this time after an emergency c-section due to a 10 pound undiagnosed breech baby (DH heavily influenced my decision not to attempt natural birth). My labour started spontaneously and I got to 7cm dilated before the c-section. So things look good so far for VBAC. I'm very likely to have another large baby and I've asked but so far no one seems to think this will be a problem.

At 12 weeks my placenta was anterior. My midwife said they will check it at my 20 week scan to make sure it hadn't embeded in the scar. Does this sound right? Anyone know why this would be an issue for a VBAC? I'm not aware of any other problems with an anterior placenta.

With induction, my midwife said I can be induced naturally and I think she said with gel, but not with the drip. But I'm not going to stress about this unless I look like going over 40 weeks (my last labour was spontaneous at 38 weeks).

Good luck to everyone and hope you all get your VBACs.

Hi Suzi,

Re induction... I had heard a few different things depending on who I spoke to. But overall it seems to be that - they will break waters if they can; definitely no gel; as for synto drip some docs said no, and some said is a possibility but best avoided.

I had an appt on Tuesday at 41 weeks & my cervix was still very high & closed so I am hoping that changes very quickly! The options when you are overdue are definitely more limited with a VBAC. We have until Tuesday then if things are the same it looks like another CS although I am hoping to squeeze another day or so out of them if it looks good.

But if you went at 38 weeks last time you could cross fingers that happens again!

With the scar, I think there is a slight risk of the placenta adhering to the scar after a previous CS, fairly small though & if they are checking it at your 20 week scan I wouldn't worry about it until then. As far as I know that's the only issue with an anterior placenta? maybe someone else knows?...

As for your baby being big I haven't heard that it's a problem, my understanding is that it is the contractions that puts pressure on the scar not the weight of the baby?...
    That's my thoughts anyway maybe someone else will know more definitely!

Good luck with your VBAC

Hi Suzi

I'm on my third pregnancy (had 2 c-sections) and have had anterior placentas in the last 2 pregnancies. As far as I know (and I could be mistaken) they check for it being embedded in your scar because your scar is at the bottom of your uterus and can block the exit, so to speak... lol Even though this can happen in normal pregnancies, I think that if its embedded in the scar there is less chance of it moving out of the way in the course of the pregnancy. I think. I could be totally off base of course!!!!

Jasp - are you taking EPO to try and jizz up your cervix mate? Acupuncture? I have a few more weeks before I ring the acupuncturist to start booking in appointments, need to have accupuncture on my scar site and get all the good energy flowing!!!

Hi Suzi, I agree with jasp and Mel. I think they make sure that the placenta isn't embedded into the scar because then if it was you'd have a low lying placenta which can mean c/s if it's too close to the cervix. I don't know if the placenta detaching in the third stage of labour would put pressure on the scar if it's close to it....

I had a posterior placenta with DS but it was low lying/partial praevia hence the reason I had a c/s. However, I did go into labour naturally but still had to have the c/s. I think because I had praevia the first time, there is a greater chance this time that I'd have it again, not to mention this time my placenta is anterior as well and so they will be checking that at my 20 week scan too.

Jasp, sending you lots of labour vibes hun xox

Hey thanks Girls!

That makes sense about the placenta not moving out of the way of the cervix if it's embedded in the scar. I hope that's a low risk! I googled it after I posted and read something about there being more bleeding and a possible need to have your placenta manually removed, but most sites seemed to say it was not a drama in the majority of cases. At least I have some idea what the OB is looking for. My scan is on Tuesday and appointment with the OB is Thursday.

Jasp - Good luck! I hope you get your VBAC. Sending you lots of spontaneous labour and ripening cervix vibes your way I recommend the EPO. I didn't start it until I went on mat leave at 37+5 weeks, but I think it had something to do with DS's arrival at 38+2.

Lol.... well it seems when I posted last here, I was in early labour I thought it was just more annoying BH

Yes, I got my VBAC! and she was 10lb8 so I guess that answers the big baby question

Mel, I did try the EPO, I started at 36 weeks I think, another reason why I was so sure I would have been just a bit dilated earlier on. And I had 2 sessions of acupuncture, one at 40+2 and another at 40 +7...she was born 40+10. Didn't get acu[puncture on my scar site though, just induction acu at the top of my calf, in fact I stillhave the bruise from last treatment not cool.

Will be sending you all lots of VBAC vibes!!!

jasp, I am so happy to hear that you got your vbac!!! YAY!!! well done chicky xox

Jasp,

Congratulations on getting your VBAC! She is gorgeous!

Thanks for posting her weight, that makes me feel a bit more confident about going for a VBAC with a potentially big baby. My hospital has given me the OK to VBAC and said a big baby is not a problem unless it's 6kg!

Congrats Jasp - knew you could do it babe.

As for everyone else - check this out - freakin awesome.

CLICK HERE

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast