Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Hi guys

Welcome to the newbies in the thread - good luck with your preparations.

Congrats to Suz - our bubs are just a day apart - awesomeness!

Best wishes to everyone else on this journey too - my time in here is brief now with three little kiddies!!!!

But i'm thinking of you all
    xxx

Hi Girls,

My journey is complete and it ended with a successful VBAC. Many thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, you all helped me put together the info I needed for my birth plan. My midwives all read it and stuck by it, so I got to have control over the things that mattered. In fact, if I'd needed a c-section I believe they would have made sure that I got my preferences.

Arimeh/Mel - VBACs 1 day apart! We rock! My most heartfelt congratulations to you

Best of luck to all of the VBACers in this thread. I'll be watching this thread and cheering you on your journeys.

Hey girls, I'm seeing my OB tomorrow and I am meant to be having the swab for Strep B. Never had to have this with DS. Will this affect my VBAC in any way at all?

Eluned, I didn't have to do the swab test either time, but it shouldn't make any difference to the vbac as it doesn't effect your labour. You just have to have antibiotics if you have a positive result.

Suz1 and Mel, Well done!! I am very happy that it all worked out for both of you.

As far as I know it shouldn't. I think if it comes back positive they just give you and baby antibiotics at the time of labour/birth to avoid infection....

But don't hold me to that because I was negative last time so didn't look in to it any further.

It is apparently something that comes and goes throughout a womans life and really isn't harmful or noticeable... but can be dangerous for the baby as it is being born if they get the infection. That's all I remember being told!!

Oh, and apparently you can avoid getting a positive result by putting a clove of garlic inside you..... but I'm not sure how far in advance of the swab you need to do this!

Just found this:

A fresh garlic clove inserted into the vagina for one or two nights will also, most likely, reduce the colonization of the vagina with GBS, with no known side effects, besides garlic breath. But none of the funding agencies or drug companies are interested in providing support for research—likely because the product could not be patented. Chlorhexidine vaginal gel or wash reduces GBS colonization, so the idea of using local measures is not too radical. But at this time, a clinical trial in the U.S. to demonstrate efficacy of these topical methods will be almost impossible, given the established standard of care (intrapartum antibiotics) established by the CDC. So garlic experiments to reduce neonatal GBS will have to take place outside of the U.S.

Garlic protocol:

Break a clove off of a bulb of garlic and peel off the paper-like cover. Cut in half. Sew a string thru it for easy retrieval.
    Put a fresh half in your vagina in the evening before you go to sleep. Most women taste garlic in their mouths as soon as it is in their vagina, so it is less pleasant to treat while awake.
    In the morning, the garlic may come out when you poop. If not, many women find it is easiest to take it out on the toilet. Circle the vagina with a finger, till you find it. It cannot enter the uterus through the cervix. It cannot get lost, but it can get pushed into the pocket between the cervix and the vaginal wall.
    Most people will taste the garlic as long as it is in there. So if you still taste it, it is probably still in there. Most women have trouble getting it out the first time.
    For easy retrieval, sew a string through the middle of the clove before you put it in. You don't want to get irritated. Be gentle. Don't scratch yourself with long nails.

Maybe worth a try?

Eluned - I never had the test either so I can't comment. But I THINK it can effect your VBAC because you have a canula in during labour? Which would have definitely effected my labouring because I was using my hands a lot for different positions.

Don't quote me, but I'm sure I've seen that written somewhere...

Congratulations Suzi on your VBAC & welcome to your little guy!

Eluned it depends on your Ob. I had the swab & it was negative. My hossy didn't test for it - 'we don't do that here' - but my GP did.
    If it is positive I believe they will want to give you IV ABs during labour. I *guess* it could influence an argument towards another CS if you had an OB who was already that way inclined, IYKWIM? But it's unlikely IMHO.
    and IF that does happen (which it probably won't) all you need to do is remind them that women having a 'normal' VB who test positive aren't put in for CSs so you should be no different.
    Also one of the reasons some Drs don't test for it is because you usually have it at about 36 weeks. By the time bub arrives it can often change .

Sweet. Thanks girls. Had the swab today so will now just see how it pans out.

Gave my ob a copy of my birth plan today and he is happy with everything. So that's yay for me. Plus when he did a quick scan he measured the thickness of my uterus at the scar line and it is 7mm which he is quite happy with.

Hi Girls,

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I still can't believe we did it

Eluned - Getting close for you now! That's great news about the thickness of your scar. I didn't know until my 34 week U/S that a thin scar could mean they would start pushing for a c-section.
    The GBS swap isn't compulsory at our hospital, but I did it both times anyway and was neg both times. I read the hospital policy to see if a positive result would impact my VBAC and it said that if you labour before 37 weeks they give you the IV ABs anyway regardless of your result and after 37 weeks only if you were positive. Hospital policy was they preferred you to have a vaginal birth and not a c-section if you were positive. VBACs have to have a cannula at my hospital anyway, so I figured it wasn't a huge drama.
    Enjoy your last couple of weeks and sending you lots of VBAC vibes ~~~~~~~~~~

Default INSPIRATION NEEDED PLEASE - Don't want to buckle under hospital pressure!!

Hi there everyone,

Need some inspiration and strength.

Am 39 weeks and have Gest Dibetes. Drs have already tried to get me to have a c-section and I have refused. Blood sugar levels are stable, bub is strong, good condition of placenta, good blood pressure etc. so no reason for c-section right this second.

As I get closer to due date (2nd Jan) I am gettting more worried that I will buckle under the pressure as the Drs "scare" me even more. They are telling me the baby is too big and they worry about scar rupture. I know this is a very small risk. Bub might be 9 or 10 pounds but I can do that!!

Anyone else in my situation? Told to have a c-sec because baby is too big or because of GD? I have loved reading this thread and feel 80% positive at the moment - just need to stay strong. Have a brilliant private midwife and doula who are supporting me. Plan to labour at home as long as possible and go to hospital for the big push even though the OBs tell me this is dangerous. Hospital 5 mins away and I just don't feel as though it is going to be dangerous. I want to do whatever I can to attempt a VBAC and if it doesn't work out at least I know I have tried.

Thanks lovely mamas - bring on the inspiration please!!

Take care everyone and I hope Christmas was a lovely one for you all.

Hi Happylila

I don't think I have read anything that points to a link between having a big baby and the more chance of your scar of rupturing - I mean, its the strength of the contractions that makes it rupture, not the size of the baby??? I think if you are going to rupture, its going to happen, no matter if you have a small, medium or giant baby. DD2 was 8 pound 10, so not a tiny baby, and no rupture here!

Your midwives will be on the ball too and be looking out for all the signs of rupture (cos its not like it just goes without warning) so trust in their abilities, and your body's natural ability to do this.

You can do this!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516