Thread: VBAC, no first time labour - any success stories?

Default VBAC, no first time labour - any success stories?

Ok ladies, I really need your help/encouragement,

So often when women ask for encouragement with their VBAC I read that because their body has been in labour before, they have a great chance of success.

But, where does that leave women like me ? .

First time - emergency c-section, no labour, so this VBAC will be my first full-term labour .

I have faith that my body knows what to do but I have been advised by one OB that my chances of success are less because I have never been in labour before .

I SO DON'T NEED THE NEGATIVITY!!!!

I haven't been able to find any sources which relate to VBACs and first time labours. Does anyone know any?

Any positive stories about VBAC and first-time labours would really help me right now?

Thank you so much for sharing,
    TICKLISH

Ticklish - if it helps any, I'm in the same position. I didn't have any labour the first time as mine was an elective c-section, not emergency one. And I'm going for a VBAC this time round. My OB is VERY positive of a successful VBAC for me, and never once mentioned about me never going through labour before. The only slightly negative thing she said to me was the percentage rates of people ending up with a successive c-section. But I'm looking beyond that and forward to my successful VBAC. I'll have a fantastic doula by my side (my SIL) for extra support - she has had a successful VBAC as well, which is great for my mental preparation because I'll have someone there that has been there, done that. Have faith in your body and what it can do. Good luck!!

Hi ticklish,
    I have a friend who had a c/s first time round (without going into labour) and had a wonderful spontaneous VBAC for #2! She was actually booked in for a c/s but she went into labour and had a very normal uncomplicated 8 hr labour and birthed her baby
    HTH! All the best

The midwife who ran our antenatal class had an elective c/s for her first bub and was scheduled for a c/s for bub #2 but went into spontaneous labour. Her second DD was born after a quick and relatively easy labour with no need for a c/s. She happily shared both stories with us at our classes and I was inspired (knowing I'd need a c/s for #1 due to PP at that point - I didn't go into labour either, in fact, I never even felt BHs, so have no idea what a contraction feels like!).

I'm hoping for a vbac next time around and will be using the doula services of someone who also happens to be a good friend of mine.

Thanks for sharing those stories Ladies. Any more?

Mel - good luck for the VBAC in about 27 weeks time. I am planning on having a positive story to tell you before then .

Don't worry - I changed OBs after the negative comment about never having laboured before and I have a doula.

TICKLISH

Hi Ticklish, my DS was born via an emergency CS under a general anasthetic in March 2006 in Newcastle NSW, 2 weeks overdue. After 14 hours of labour I was at 8cm (and had been for about 7 hours), my waters were very heavily meconium stained and he went into distress. Not to see my son born was very distressing and it took a while for me to get over the the CS and I feel I have been cheated of that special early contact with him.

My DD was born via a VBAC in November last year 1 week overdue here in Melbourne. My contractions started at around 3am and we left for hospital at around 6.30ish as they were very close together and very intense. By 10am I was at 10cm and told my precious baby girl would be here really soon and to start pushing. I pushed and I pushed for just on 2 hours and made no progress at all. The little bugger had turned into a posterior position and flexed up her head the same as her big brother and was firmly stuck, when my OB told me this I was devestated. She suggested an epidural and a manual turn with forceps before we went for the CS option. I agreed and my brave little daughter was born just 10 mins later. She was perfect (a couple of little bruises on her face) and I was overwhelmed with emotion. It took her a few minutes to breathe and she had been stuck for so long but after some resus and some oxygen I got to hear her first cry and have her placed on my chest. My DH and I were left alone with our bub in the delivery suite for about an hour or so so we could enjoy each other and allow breastfeeding to start naturally with no strangers or pressure. It was the most amazing experience of my life.

My OB was confident all the way through my pregnancy of a successful VBAC met us at the hospital and only left us for 25 minutes (to get her baby son to sleep) throughout my entire labour. She was wonderful, encouraging, positive and supportive and I couldn't have done it without her. She only takes on 10 patients a month so the care and support you get is very personal, no rushing and no late or delayed appointments.

Stay focussed on your VBAC. Read as much about VBAC's as you can. Trust your body and the strength of your spirit,try to stay calm and let mother nature be your guide.

Thanks for sharing your story Krisp. I so happy you had your successful VBAC.

TICKLISH

Quote Originally Posted by ticklish View Post
    I have faith that my body knows what to do but I have been advised by one OB that my chances of success are less because I have never been in labour before .
    What the...??? pffft to that OB... cos I'm a success story hun! I didn't go into labour with number one.. he was c/s due to being breech. Number 2 was spontaneous labour at 4 days past EDD and delivered 3 1/2 hours later beautiful and healthy! He was vacuum assisted as he was in a bit of distress as my waters hadn't broken and he had pooed so was a fair amount of meconium so he had to come out!! His heartrate was dropping way down to around 40 bpm before they broke my waters which is why they did to see what was going on. Other than that he was a fit as a little fiddle! I think he would've been faster if my waters had broken on their own too!! Anyway, YES YOU CAN DO IT! Look into hypnobirthing or calm birthing. Best thing I ever did and really helps you connect to your body and be in tune with it and your baby Feel free to email me achoffmann @ bigpond . com.
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; January 17th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Hi girls, Just wanted to tell you that I am in the same boat. My DS born in dec '05 was born by emergency c/s almost 2 weeks after his EDD. I also had no labour as I came in to be induced and as soon as I went on to the heart rate monitor they discovered that he was in distress, 10 mins later I was up in the operation room getting a needle in my back. Everything went well and I recovered really quick and my DS is perfect and healthy. I am due with baby no. 2 on th 13th of March (about 6 weeks away) and I am booked in for my c/s that day as the truth is as long as my baby comes out healthy I don't mind. I have told the doctor that I haven't been able to make my mind up on a vbac or c/s, I just want what is best for the baby. So she has booked me in and if the baby comes early I will try vbac. The babies head is already engaged so a vbac may be on the books. I am lucky I don't feel as though I have been rushed into any decisions and can always tell the doctor on the scheduled c/s date that I want to wait another week or so to see if labour starts.
    Still very undicisive about the decision but glad I am not being pushed to go either way.

Yep, thats the same as me, I didnt have labour with my 1st, due to her size and her head wouldnt engage it was too big to put enough pressure on my cervix to even start labour, I went 7 days overdue with her she come out via elective C section. I wasnt going to even try to be induced because the Ob told me her head was far too big for my pelvis and I'd end up in emergency anyway.

So it's going to be much the same witht his one, that being I will do whatever is best for my baby I am not going to force the Ob to induce me, or break my waters if my cervix looks ripe enough and is dialated. If the baby is going to come naturally he will. I think the safest way to have a Vbac is if it all happens naturally and the baby comes on its own, thats what they encourage. And really when you think about it... if the baby doesnt come on its own isnt that a sign? That somethings wrong or not right inside, maybe the baby could be in a difficult position, or too big or who knows, then it would result in emergency C section anyway. And if bubba hasnt come by his/her due date or the 10 day after period isnt it safer to book in an elective C section than being rushed off to emergency theatre, from complications that have happened from a Vbac gone wrong?

So I see it simple, if bub comes and I go into labour.... Great! I'll try Vbac thinking my body's doing something right so might as well give it a go. If I don't go into labour then I'll take it as a sure sign there's something not right cause somethin wasnt right last time she come out 10 lbs 2 oz!!!

good luck

danielle

Hi,

I can't speak from experience as I laboured for 12hours before I had an emergency C Section however a friend of mine had a successful VBAC and she hadn't laboured previously. I know that she was monitored and was on the bed for most of her labour.

Have faith that you can do it, research it and know that it is just as possible if you had laboured.