Centrelink Family Payments – 17 Payments You Might Be Entitled To

Unsure of which Centrelink family payments you’re entitled to? Worry no more!

Below you’ll find a list of the various payments and allowances on offer for Australian families.

So grab a cuppa and discover what Centrelink family payments you can claim.

Centrelink Family Payments

The Australian Government provides payments to families to help with the cost of raising, educating and caring for children. There are several different Centrelink family payments you can claim but eligibility criteria apply to all.

Details of Centrelink family payments are correct at the time of publishing: we’ll aim to keep the list as up-to-date as possible.

#1: Child Care Subsidy

The Child Care Subsidy helps you with the cost of approved child care.

It’s paid directly to your child care provider to reduce the fees you pay.

The amount you’re eligible for will depend on your family income, your child’s age and the type of child care you use.

Child Care payments will begin from 13 July 2020. It’s important families update their details prior to 30 June; otherwise they risk a debt.

Due to Covid-19 you won’t need to pay child care fees when you access child care between 6 April and 12 July 2020 (extended from 28 June to 12 July 2020).

To be eligible for Child Care Subsidy you must:

  • Provide care for a child who is aged 13 or younger, and not yet in secondary school (unless there is an exemption)
  • Use an approved child care service
  • Be responsible for paying child care fees
  • Meet residency and vaccination requirements.

To find out the eligibility criteria and amount you may be entitled to claim, go to Child Care Subsidy.

#2: Family Tax Benefit

The Family Tax Benefit (FTB) is a payment to help you with the cost of raising your children. It’s income means-tested, so you need to meet eligibility requirements to get this benefit.

FTB Part A eligibility

If you care for a dependent child who meets the following criteria then you might be eligible for FTB Part A:

  • Child is 0 to 15 years old
  • Child is 16 to 19 years of age, and in full time secondary education (or has an exemption).

Additionally, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • Have an income test to assess your family’s income
  • Live in Australia and meet the residency rules
  • Have care of the child at least 35% of the time.

FTB Part B eligibility

At the end of each financial year, your payments are balanced and you could receive the FTB Part B supplement. This is automatically adjusted, depending on:

  • How many children are in your care
  • Whether you share care with another person
  • Your family income for the financial year
  • How many days you were eligible for FTB Part A.

To find out the eligibility criteria and amount you may be entitled to claim, go to Family Tax Benefit.

#3: Multiple Birth Allowance

If you’re entitled to claim Family Tax Benefit you might be eligible for Multiple Birth Allowance.

This payment is for people who have care of triplets or quadruplets or more. It is not for people who have care of twins.

You don’t need to submit an extra claim for this Centrelink family payment. It will be calculated automatically for you through Family Tax Benefit.

#4: Single Parent and Parenting Payment

Parenting Payment is the main income support payment you can receive while you’re the main carer of a young child, whether as a single parent or stay at home mum.

You might also be entitled to claim the single income supplement of up to $300 if you satisfy the criteria.

To be eligible for single income supplement you must:

  • Be eligible for Single Income Family Supplement, since 30 June 2017, and
    care for an eligible child
  • Be the main income earner with a taxable income between $68,000 and $150,000
  • Have no second income earner with a taxable income above $18,000.

To find out if you’re eligible to claim an additional payment as a single parent go to Parenting Payment.

#5: Parental Leave and Newborn Supplement

Parental Leave is a payment to help you care for your newborn baby for up to 18 weeks.

Your partner might also be able to claim Dad and Partner Pay for up to 2 weeks.

To find out if you’re eligible, visit Parental Leave and Dad and Partner Pay. 

To claim Parental Leave Pay, you should:

  • Be the primary carer of a newborn or newly adopted child
  • Earn less than $150,000 in the last financial year
  • Not be working while on Paid Parental Leave.

Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement

You could be entitled to claim for the Newborn Supplement if you or your partner:

  • Have a baby
  • Take a child into your care
  • Adopt a child.

You’ll be unable to claim for the newborn supplement if:

  • Your partner has already received payments for the child
  • You or your partner claimed Parental Leave Pay for the child

Find out if you are eligible for the Newborn Supplement.

#6: Carer Allowance

Carer Allowance is a fortnightly supplement for people who provide additional daily care to someone who has a disability or serious illness, or who is frail aged.

To claim Carer Allowance you must meet an income means test and:

  • Give daily care to someone with a disability or severe illness, or someone who is frail aged
  • Be the carer of a person who’ll have extra needs for at least 12 months or for the rest of their life.

Find out if you meet the criteria for Carer Allowance. 

#7: Sports Rebate

Families can apply for Centrelink family payments in the form of a sports voucher. This is for a child, and to be used with registered activity providers, towards the cost of sport and active recreation membership, registration or participation fees.

The requirements and amount of available rebate vary from state to state.

Find the information for your state* below:

*We were unable to find anything available for Victorian families.

#8: Creative Kids Voucher (NSW only)

The NSW Government is helping kids get creative with their Creative Kids program.

Families can apply for a Creative Kids voucher to the value of $100 per calendar year for each child enrolled in school.

The discount can be used with a registered activity provider, towards the cost of activities such as arts, dance, coding, music and drama lessons.

#9: Bus Fares and School Transport Assistance Scheme

Did you know that with the School Transport Assistance Scheme, you can claim a rebate for every kilometre you travel when driving the kids to school?

You could be eligible to claim this rebate if you live within a certain distance from the school. You might also be entitled to claim for your child’s bus fares.

The scheme varies from state to state.

Find out more about the school transport assistance scheme, and the various requirements in your state:

#10: Student Assistance

Youth Allowance is a payment for young students and apprentices aged under 24.

To claim Youth Allowance you must be:

  • Between 18 and 24, and studying full time
  • Between 16 and 17, studying full time and independent or needing to live away from home
  • Between 16 and 17, studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent
  • Between the age of 16 and 24, and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Find out if you’re entitled to claim Youth Allowance.

#11: Emergency Assistance or Crisis Payment

Crisis payment is a one off payment you can claim if you’re suffering financial hardship.

To claim a crisis payment you must be:

  • Eligible for an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • In Australia when you claim.

Extreme circumstances for a crisis payment:

  • You or someone you’re caring for is entering quarantine or self-isolation due to COVID-19
  • You’ve experienced family and domestic violence
  • You’ve experienced a natural or other disaster not covered by a disaster relief payment
  • You arrived in Australia as a Humanitarian Entrant for the first time
  • You have been released from prison or psychiatric confinement.

How much you can claim depends on the payment you receive from Centrelink.

#12: Adopting a Child

There’s a range of Centrelink family payments and services available to help families care for a newly adopted child.

You might be able to claim payments if:

  • You’ve adopted a child
  • A child has come into your care as part of an adoption process.

Find out if you qualify for a payment for your adopted child. 

#13: When a child has died

If your baby was stillborn, or has passed away, your family might be eligible to receive a bereavement benefit.

Find out more about the Stillborn Baby Payment.

You might also be entitled to claim Family Tax Benefit Bereavement Payment.

#14: Child Dental Benefits Scheme

The Child Dental Benefits payment helps with the cost of basic dental services for children aged between 2 and 17.

The scheme covers part or full cost of some dental services for children, if you already qualify for Centrelink family payments and are eligible for Medicare.

You can make a claim if your child is:

  • Aged 2 to 17 years for at least 1 day that year
  • Eligible for Medicare
  • Getting a payment from Centrelink at least once a year, or has a parent getting a payment at least once a year.

Ask your dentist to make sure you’re covered by the Child Dental Benefits Scheme.

#15: Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a payment for parents of children who can’t go to a local government school because of remote isolation, disability or special needs.

To receive this benefit your child must:

  • Be geographically isolated
  • Have a disability or special education needs
  • Have no reasonable access to a government school.

Find out if you’re entitled to claim Assistance for Isolated Children.

#16: Family Violence Entitlements

You could be entitled to claim for financial help if you’re in a situation of domestic violence.

Contact Centrelink to check if you can get a payment, such as income support payments or a crisis payment. You might be able to claim Centrelink family payments, such as child support, or an advance on your entitlements if you’re suffering financial hardship.

#17: Advance Payment

You can apply for an advance payment of your income support payment or Family Tax Benefit once per year.

You then repay the money, out of your regular Centrelink family payments.

You can apply for an advance payment at any time if you’re claiming any of these benefits:

  • Austudy
  • Youth Allowance for students
  • Family Tax Benefit Part A
  • Mobility Allowance.

You’re not eligible for an advance payment if you:

  • Are still repaying an advance payment you claimed more than 12 months ago
  • Owe a debt to the Australian Government
  • Can’t afford to repay within 6 months
  • Are outside Australia.

Find out if you can apply for an Advance Payment. 

Centrelink Family Payments Calculator

To estimate or compare Centrelink family payments you might be entitled to claim, visit the Online estimator.

When you answer questions about your family circumstances and choose the Centrelink family payments you wish to claim, the calculator will help you determine what you’re entitled to receive.

Other Entitlements

You might also be entitled to claim:

For all your pregnancy, birth and parenting questions, check out BellyBelly. It will help you be  informed and feel confident about your parenting journey.

Tracy Hardy

Tracy Hardy

Tracy has been working in the online world for 10 years and loves supporting fellow parents along their journey. She is a mum of two boys and enjoys spending time with family, and relaxing at the beach.

Next Post