Apple Pie Recipe
– posted by Kelly
This recipe is so easy, and you can use shop bought butter or puff pastry, but we have used homemade flaky pastry as it really is much better!
For making sweet pies, there is nothing like homemade pastry.
We have also added blackberries to this one as the apple soaks up the juices and give a lovely pretty colour to the dish.
You only need a few and they can be fresh or frozen.
Apple Pie Recipe – Tips
- Make more apple mix and freeze. This can be used for more pies or sauces or a crumble.
- Try the same pie with pear and ginger — delicious!
- Recipe Serves: 6-8
- Recipe Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Recipe Preparation Time: 45 mins (including pastry)
- 1kg/21/2 lbs of good quality apples
- 140grams/5oz golden caster sugar
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- 225grams/8oz of butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs (1 whole egg and 1 separated)
- 350grams/12oz of plain flour
- Choose your dish first; the ideal size is a round 20cm/8in or slightly larger one, and about 4-5cm/2in deep.
- First make your pastry by beating the sugar and butter together. Add 1 whole egg and the yolk from the other (the white is used for glazing). Mix together well. It will look a bit lumpy at this stage, so add the flour a little at a time and mix together with a wooden spoon. When mixed, pull all the dough together with your hands into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30-40 mins.
- Whilst the dough is chilling, peel and core the apples, then cut into smallish chunks. Leave to drain between 2 pieces of kitchen paper. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- When the pastry has chilled, lightly flour your surface and pull off about a third of the pastry and roll out enough to cover the base of your dish, with a slight overhang.
- Mix the apples with the sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and place over the pastry base. At this stage, add the blackberries and mix, if required. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid and place on the top of the mixture. Press the edges down firmly and make the edging a pretty fluted style by using a fork or your thumb. Trim off any rough edges.
- Put a few small slashes in the top of the lid and brush with the remaining egg white. Top with a sprinkling of caster sugar and place in the oven.
- Bake for 40 mins or until the top is golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little caster sugar or icing sugar and serve with cream, custard or ice cream.
For more information on buying the right pie maker for you, we recommend you review the following;
Pie Maker Reviews
To find out more about pie recipes, you can read BellyBelly’s article :