Thread: When can I start sitting baby up in pram?

Default When can I start sitting baby up in pram?

Hi everyone,
    DD is 3 months old and when we are out an about we use the cocoon in a P&T pram.... fully laid back. I was wondering when we can start sitting DD up in the pram?
    I've tried googling but can't seem to find much advice. DD loves to look around and often cries when we are out and about as if to say "get me out I want to see whats going on" but at the same time if we try to help her sit up at home she seems to slouch as though she doesn't have enough back strength yet.

Can anyone tell me when they started to sit their little one's up?

Thanks in advance!

My pram recommended 6 months in their instructions. I started sitting her up in the pram from about 5 months because she hated laying down and wanted to see everything. We didnt sit her right up, she was sort of reclined a bit still. She did flop to the side, but she was happier as she could see what was going on.

I did at at 3 months as DS was happier looking out than lying down. Now he is 6 months and happy to lie or sit up. Don't know if there is a "right" time to do it but it made going out and about with him much easier.

Just whenever they can sit well enough. There is no exact age. Both my boys could hold their heads up from birth, so were able to be in the sitting position very early, but every child is different. If they can sit supported without their head rolling forward etc, then they are ready.

I sit my baby up in his stroller now and he is just over 3mths. He gets frustrated with laying down too sometimes so when he starts getting antsy, I sit him up. he is quite good at sitting upright though. Does the P&T have adjustable seats where you can have them propped up just a little bit? My big pram has three sitting adjustments which is good for when they don't quite have the head control to sit fully upright.

I sat Mackenzie up around 8-9 weeks. My health nurse said if you only did it for about 15 mins and as long as they had decent head control it would be fine. She loves it!! She usually has a look around then I lay her back and she has a sleep. I guess it also depends if your pram has diff levels to recline at.

hehe, I started exactly the same thread about my P&T's! At the same age! I think that Pip had good head control and was leaning forward when I moved him to just the clips (not the zipper and clips) stage - and he snoozes with the zipper (not the clips). If that helps

That's fantastic..... DH and I are going to have a play with the pram tomorrow and see what DD thinks.

Thankyou for the quick replies

we sat dd up at around 1mth coz she had really bad reflux but our pram is adjustable coz its held up by a strap so its kinda semi reclined lol she loves it shes not too interested in lying down in it anymore and i am probably just about to sit it up a little more actually think it just depends on the bub

Claire Guest

This has been what I have been thinking too! I have a p&t aswell.

I have sat my son up clips done but zip undone a few times for a little while and he seems really happy that way, but I think he should sleep laying down.

He's just so aware and wants to be part of the action!

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    Just whenever they can sit well enough. There is no exact age. Both my boys could hold their heads up from birth, so were able to be in the sitting position very early, but every child is different. If they can sit supported without their head rolling forward etc, then they are ready.
    Oh I'm so glad to hear somebody else say that!! When unsettled one of the only ways we can get Euan to settle is rocking him in the pram - but for some reason he'll only settle when nearly upright. After he's calmed we can slowly start to recline him but we can only get him horizontal once he's already asleep (whether in the pram or cot) - he is the most insistently upright baby! I've been worried that we are damaging his neck but he seems to have very strong neck control, even at such a young age.

I was under the impression that it was fine to sit them up as soon as they could support their head (which happens around three months). It depends on the baby as well. If she's happy sitting up then let her