Thread: hiccups

Default hiccups

i just read in a pregnancy book that if after 36 weeks your baby gets frequent hiccups ( 2 or more bouts lasting more than 10 minutes in 24 hour period)then the baby could have a knot or kink in the umbilical cord or it could be wrapped around the neck!!!!!! this freaked the hell out of me! i am almost 38 weeks and from 36 weeks the baby started getting hiccups, when hadnt before during the rest of the pregnancy, and she gets them in the morning and at night and sometimes during the day and they last for about 20- 30 minutes! is this something i should be worried about??

also as time gets nearer to D day i am finding it increasingly hard to get to sleep! apart from the little aches and pains related to lying down all these paranoid concerns run through my head to do with her being born healthy and alive!! is this normal?? i just want her to come out so that i can stop worrying about it!

i probably sound like a paranoid wierdo, sorry.

I was told hiccups are perfectly normal?? Maybe I've got it wrong though. My bub has been getting hiccups for the last couple of weeks, very frequently. I never thought that is was an issue though. I might speak with my doctor on my next visit.

DS often had hiccups in utero and also got them a lot when he was a baby. My ob wasn't at all concerned, but it didn't just start at 36 weeks like you. In fact this time the bub had hiccups when I went for an ob visit very early on - around 12 weeks even I think!!

I am sure it's nothing to worry about, but call your ob/midwife for peace of mind. It's better than worrying.

BTW, you are perfectly normal for worrying at this point - I was the same with DS too. And I think the lack of sleep (which is also normal) doesn't help at all either. Try to relax if you can, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Good luck,
    Melanie

Hic ups are apparently soothing for bubs. pre and post birth... it's not irritating for them like it is for us...

that is what I have heard...

I too thought hiccups were quite normal.
    If you're really worried, ask for an ultrasound and they can do that thing where you see it in color (the blood?) and then you can see if the cord is around your bubs neck? Does that make sense?
    OR wait until you think bubs is upside-down and then drink some water!

skorpy Guest

Hiccups are normal...i feel my baby have them often.Problem is if you read alot of things about worries etc in life,everyone would be worried about everything possible everyday.As long as you are feeling your baby move,then everything is fine.Although at our stages now the baby wont move as much because of lack of room.

hiccups are fine - my midwife told me yesterday that it shows the babies brain is well developed as they know how to swallow. My first bub even had hiccups during labour!

thanks everyone. i think i should stop reading at this point to save my sanity. i will check on wednesday with the doctor though.

Hollo, just to reassure you......both Olivia and Charlie did the hiccup performances all the time from around 30 weeks.......we could actually SEE the hiccups, as they were so pronounced that my belly moved!

NEITHER OF THEM HAD ANY UMBILICAL ISSUES AT BIRTH..........

My bubs gets hiccups usually twice a day. I asked the midwife when i first noticed it about 4 weeks ago and she said its perfectly normal. She said its just caused from bubs swallowing the fluid too quickly causing hiccups. She said most babies that have hiccups during their time in the womb will most likely hiccup after theyre born, but its perfectly normal. Ive also heard its a good sign that bubs is practicing his swallowing movements etc. Ive never heard it being from a kink in the cord?

julesy Guest

I started experiencing hiccups around the 31 week mark, and it was quite alarming at first, because they seemed to be so quick! When I asked the midwife, she said it was perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about. She also said that if the baby has hiccups in utero, then they are likely to have hiccups after birth.

Take care!
    Julesy

Hi,

I just wanted to add too that my Ob told me too that hiccups are a good sign. As Boybump said, it shows good brain development and also my Ob said that it takes coordination for the bub to hiccup (which it needs to swallow) so that's very positive also.

Try to relax and it's not always great to google things (even though very hard not to at times).

I'm sure all will be fine. My first bub had the hiccups alot and was born without any problems and this bub has been hiccupping away inside too.

Take care

Yeah my bub hicuuped all the time in utero - and did quite a bit once she was born too. All is fine with her

Hi girls...I'm curious...what does it feel like when bubs has the hiccups?? I have just started feeling a frequent 'twitch' every now and then right down low where his head is and I'm wondering if that's what it is. It only happens every now and then but the 'twitch' goes on every second or two for maybe 5 - 10 minutes or more... It's so bizarre & I'm guessing it's him hiccupping?!?

Yeh thats what mine feel like Sherie. Its like a little rythmic taping.