Thread: sore nipples when swimming

Default sore nipples when swimming

Seems a bit odd but I seem to get really sore nipples when I am swimming. The surface of the very tip turns white and there seems to be a purple (blood pooling?) patch underneath as well. Is this normal or should I be concerned? This will happen only after being in the pool for about 10 minutes or so and is very annoying as I just love to swim.

Thanks, J

This probably isn't very helpful, but is the water too cold? Yeah, i know, I'm sure you've thought of that, but thats the first thing I thought of.

Could have something to do with the increased blood flow... Alan should be able to help I think...

i get this too when the water is cold. it feels liek they r gonna snap off i nearly cry. i guess it is the extra blood flow

slyder Guest

JS, I hope you don't mind me chipping in as I'm a bloke. However, depending on the type of cossie you are wearing, it is not uncommon to get a very unpleasant chafing from the synthetic material used in the garment. If the water is reasonably cool, you'll know yourself that peoples nipples harden, and through the movement of swimming (particularly the rotation of the arms over and under the head) a small amount of movement will occur between the surface of your nipple and the garment creating the chafing, and subsequent pain and bleeding. You may notice that the bleeding worsens slightly when you get out as your capillaries, which carry the surface blood, will expand once the source of coldness is removed.

Runners get this too through sweating (or the rain) and the movement of nipples against the shirt or singlet. I've had it and it fricken hurts!