Thread: Size of baby's head at 36 weeks?

Default Size of baby's head at 36 weeks?

Hi all! I just wondered if anyone has been told the size of their baby's head at about 36 weeks along?

At our last doctors visit he measured the baby's head on the ultrasound and said it was 33 cm in circumfrence...he said that was 'normal' which is all good but I was just wondering if anyone else has been given measurements and if so, did it change much before the birth??

I have no idea what size head is 'normal' for a baby at birth either...any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

pamba Guest

i was'nt told the size of my babys head at any point during my pregnancy.

Kirsty77 Guest

Nope nether was I. Interesting to know though. I think I'd be freaked out if they told me!LOL!

My DD was born at 36w and her head circumference was 33.5cm. She weighed 7lb3oz (3250g) and she was about 50th percentile at birth - average sized.
    I think the growth slows down in the last few weeks.

nelstarnator Guest

my baby was born at 36w also and her head circumference was 32.0cm. she weighed 6lb7oz (2915g) and she just made it into the 3rd percentile. didn't make it hurt any less. and when i had an ultrasound @ 34weeks they told me that her head was below average in size. and they were right.

Yes, we were told head measurements BECAUSE they said it was small. We had an u/s at 36 weeks because they thought her sizes were wrong (decided to worry us and say she was measuring for a 30 week ) anyway, they said during the u/s that head was small (33cm) tummy big (can't remember measurements) and legs short. So I pictured a turtle!!! Anyway, I forgot how LITTLE cm's are and there's really not much diff between 33 and 36 for example. So don't worry!! I think we are given too much info during pregnancy. my bub was perfect even though she measured like a turtle in the womb!!! xoxo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Don't forget ultrasound isn't 100% accurate. Also when baby is born it's head comes out usually with the chin tucked in and not square which uses most of it's head - it's designed to be born to make the most of the space. This is a snippet from myoptimal fetal positioning article on the main site:

"Position ideal for birth is when the baby is lined up so as to fit through your pelvis as easily as possible. To be in this position baby needs to be head down, facing your back, with his back on one side of the front of your tummy. In this position, the baby's head is easily 'flexed', ie his chin tucked onto his chest, so that the smallest part of his head will be applied to the cervix first. The diameter of his head which has to fit through the pelvis is approximately 9.5 cm, and the circumference approximately 27.5cm. This position is called "occiput anterior" (OA)."
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Full term my boys heads where 36 & 37 cm

Thanks girls! I wasn't worried at all about the size, just curious. I actually asked the OB if he thought the baby would be big and that's the only reason he measured it in the ultrasound. We were just curious to know how he was/is coming along... He also said the body was a 'average' size and the legs were a little more on the longer side but my hubby is quite tall so that's pretty understandable.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

I had an ultrasound 3 days before my son was born via c-section, I was told HC was 36cm and that is exactly what it was a birth. With my daughter, I had an ultrasound at 33 weeks and they said her HC was approximately 33.6cm at birth it was 38cm.