Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
|Pregnancy Week (Select):|
Sore Ribs During Pregnancy – Relief for Rib Pain While Pregnant
In the third trimester of pregnancy (for some women a little earlier) you may experience sore or painful ribs, which can range from mild discomfort to extremely sore. The pain and soreness is caused by pressure from the top of your growing uterus, as well as baby kicking or punching the area. Sore ribs are usually on the side of the baby’s position and can be felt just below the breasts. You’ll probably find that your ribs are more painful when sitting, moreso when leaning forward.
The fundus (the top of your uterus) is at it’s highest at around 36 weeks of pregnancy (reaching just below the breastbone), then baby drops into your pelvic cavity in preparation for birth. This usually provides some much appreciated relief! But until then, the discomfort usually continues.
What Can I Do To Help Relieve The Discomfort of Sore Ribs During Pregnancy?
While there is not much you can do to stop or fix a growing uterus, there are some things you can do to get some temporary relief. The below suggestions will not ‘cure’ your soreness but may help you get that relief you need to get through until baby drops down lower. Remember, being pregnant you cannot take anti-inflammatories, so steer clear of any medications, especially without medical advice. For unbearable pain, you can see your doctor or midwife about taking panadeine or panadeine forte, but still avoid all medicines where possible, as codeine can cause constipation when you are already prone to it being pregnant.
Tips For Sore Ribs During Pregnancy
- Make yourself as comfortable as possible by wearing loose fitting clothes
- Support yourself with cushions when lying down
- Sit up straight and don’t hunch over – create more room, while supporting your back
- Avoid sitting down for too long – get up and take regular stretch breaks or short walks
- Heat packs or cold packs – whatever works best for you
- A nice hot shower (be sensible with this one – not too hot!)
- Exercises that help you stretch out and support your body, like swimming
- Stretch! Here is a really effective exercise from midwife, Alan Rooney:
“Stand facing a wall. With your feet 40cms from the wall, cross your arms in front of your face. Then lean your crossed arms on the wall sliding them up the wall above your head and stretching yourself up as far as possible. Hold the position for as long as comfortable. This lifts the diaphragm and rib cage up off the uterus and really provides huge temporary relief, especially if the pain is caused by a breech baby’s hard little head wedged under your ribs.”
Its also a great idea to take a trip to a health practitioner if you haven’t already. An osteopath (ideally one who does cranio sacral work, which is great in pregnancy and with newborns), acupuncturist, chiropractor – depending on what you prefer – can help and see how your body is going and pick up any potential areas which may be a problem – even contributing to your aches and pains if something is out of whack elsewhere.
What Can Stop The Pain Of Sore Ribs During Pregnancy?
Aside from all that, there is only one magic pill that will take the rib pain away – giving birth! Sorry to tease, but I have been there myself and the only thing that completely fixed my sore ribs was birth. As soon as my gorgeous girl was born, it completely disappeared.
Kelly Winder is a birth attendant (aka doula), the creator of BellyBelly and mum to three beautiful children. Become a fan of BellyBelly on Facebook or add Kelly here. BellyBelly is also on Twitter. Please note that all of my suggestions and advice are of a generalised nature only and are not intended to replace advice from a qualified professional. BellyBelly.com.au – The Thinking Woman’s Website For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth and Baby.
More Pregnancy Articles
- 10 Big Pregnancy Blunders You Should Avoid
- 10 Ways Pregnancy Is Totally Overrated
- 16 Common Side Effects During Pregnancy
- 40 Reasons To Give Baby 40 Weeks Of Pregnancy
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Choose Independent Birth Education
- Acne And Pregnancy – How To Deal With Acne In Pregnancy
- Alcohol During Pregnancy – Is It Safe To Drink Alcohol While Pregnant?
- Amniocentesis – What Is An Amniocentesis?
- Are You Prepared for Breastfeeding? Tips To Prepare For Success
- Baby Formula – What Baby Formula Makers Wont Tell You About Formula
- Baby Shower Games – 9 Fun Baby Shower Games
- Baby Shower Ideas – 7 Awesome Baby Shower Ideas
- Bleeding After Sex During Pregnancy
- Bleeding During Pregnancy – Causes of Bleeding During Pregnancy
- Blessingway – What Is A Blessingway?
- Boys Names – Baby Names For Boys
- Breakthrough Bleeding – What Is Breakthrough Bleeding?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
- Chemical Pregnancy – Symptoms Of A Chemical Pregnancy
- Coffee and Pregnancy – Can You Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Colouring Your Hair During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Colour Your Hair?
- Constipation During Pregnancy – Remedies & Treatment For Constipation
- CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling)
- Depression and Pregnancy – Depression In Pregnancy
- Doesn’t Feel Right? Speaking Up and How To Do It
- Doula – What Is a Doula And Why Do So Many Women Want One?
- Down Syndrome – Expecting a Baby With Down Syndrome
- Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms – Signs Of Ectopic Pregnancy
- Essential Oils In Pregnancy – Which Essential Oils Are Safe To Use?
- Exercise And Pregnancy – Can I Exercise In Pregnancy?
- Flu Vaccine When Pregnant – Should I Get The Flu Vaccine?
- Flying When Pregnant – Tips for Flying When Pregnant
- Gas During Pregnancy – A Farty Problem
- Gender Dilemmas – Wanting a Boy – or a Girl
- Gender Disappointment – Tips For Coping With Gender Disappointment
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas – 16 Cool Gender Reveal Ideas!
- Genital Herpes – Giving Birth With Genital Herpes
- Gestational Diabetes – Treating Gestational Diabetes
- Girls Names – Baby Names for Girls
- Haemorrhoids – Treating Haemorrhoids in Pregnancy
- Hiring a Birth Attendant or Doula – Questions to Ask
- How Many Weeks Pregnant Am I?
- Internal Exams During Pregnancy and Labour – Are They Necessary?
- Irritable Uterus – What Is An Irritable Uterus In Pregnancy?
- Listeria and Pregnancy – What You Need To Know About Listeria
- Low Lying Placenta – What It Means To Have Low Lying Placenta
- Maternity Bra – When Should I Get A Maternity Bra?
- Miscarriage – What Is A Miscarriage And Why Do They Occur?
- Mocktail Recipes – Yummy Mocktails For Pregnancy
- MTHFR – Is The MTHFR Gene Mutation Affecting Your Pregnancy?
- Mucus Plug (Show) – What Is The Mucus Plug?
- No Period / Missed Period – Could I Be Pregnant?
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Obstetrician For Birth – 11 Questions To Ask
- Old Wives’ Tales and Pregnancy – Boy or Girl?
- Optimal Fetal Positioning – How It Helps You Have An Easier Birth
- Osteopathy and Pregnancy – How Osteopathy Helps
- Paid Parental Leave – How Much Is Paid Parental?
- Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) in Pregnancy
- Pets and Your Baby – Preparing Your Pet For A Baby
- Placenta Previa – What Is Placenta Previa?
- Postnatal Depression – Prevention & Treatment With Chinese Medicine
- Pre Natal Yoga
- Pre-Eclampsia in Pregnancy – Symptoms of Pre-Eclampsia
- Pre-Natal Testing & Screening
- Pregnancy Books – 4 Best Pregnancy Books
- Pregnancy Calculator – Try BellyBelly’s Pregnancy Calculator
- Pregnancy Photography – 10 Great Reasons To Have Pregnancy Photography
- Pregnancy Stages – The Three Pregnancy Stages
- Pregnancy Stress – 10 Tips For Dealing With Stress In Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Symptoms – 16 Early Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Test – The Best Way To Do A Pregnancy Test
- Pregnancy Tickers – Countdown to Baby With A Pregnancy Ticker!
- Pregnancy Week By Week – What Happens During Pregnancy Week By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain – How Much Weight Is Normal?
- Pregnant Or Trying To Get Pregnant? First Signs Of Pregnancy
- Preventing Postnatal Depression – 8 BIG Tips That You Must Know NOW
- Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery and Homebirth
- Public, Private, Birth Centre or Home?
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea In Pregnancy – Benefits of Raspberry Leaf
- Rhesus Factor – Negative Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy
- Sciatica – Treatment Of Sciatica in Pregnancy
- Seeing the Dentist in Pregnancy
- Sex Toys During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
- Shortness of Breath In Pregnancy – Are You Short Of Breath?
- Smoking During Pregnancy – FAQ’s on Smoking During Pregnancy
- Stretch Marks – How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Tea During Pregnancy – Teas To Drink And Teas To Avoid
- The Importance Of Sleeping Position In Pregnancy
- Thrush During Pregnancy – Vaginal Thrush Symptoms And Treatments
- Unplanned Pregnancy – When Your Pregnancy Is More Shock Than Surprise
- Waxing During Pregnancy – Can You Wax While Pregnant?
- When Do You Start To Look Pregnant?
- When Does Morning Sickness Start? Morning Sickness FAQ’s
- Who Cares? Choosing a Model of Maternity Care
- Will Your Baby Be Born in a Baby Friendly Hospital?