Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contractions 10 minutes apart, when will they get closer??

Default Contractions 10 minutes apart, when will they get closer??

Hi all,

Just after some advice from those who have been here before...

My due date was yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I started getting painful contractions about 10 minutes apart, I went to bed at about midnight and they continued on and off through the night, but more like every half hour to hour.

Today they were random, every hour or so, until I woke up from a nap at 6.00pm, since then they've been very painful, about 30 seconds long and about 10 minutes apart (sometimes 8 mins, sometimes 13 minutes, but on average 10 minutes)....

I know theres nothing I can do to speed things up, the baby will come when it's ready, but this is exhausting. I'm wondering if anyone else has been though this, how long until you went into proper labour?

Firstly how exciting - this sounds like it is very much "IT"!!!!!

My first labour started out at about 15mins apart, then it went down to 10, then about 4-5 and then 2 - the total length of labour was 12hrs.

It really is a 'how long is a piece of string' question though hun and there is no way of knowing how long it will take for them to get closer - it could be ages or it could happen within the hour. The most important thing now is to just focus on them, work with them and know that each one is opening up your cervix and getting it ready for your beautiful babe to make it's way out. If you feel you need to rest, then have a rest, if you feel you need to be active, then walk around your house, or in your yard or finish packing your bag.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear the announcement

ETA - here is an article from the main site that you should read to give you some tips and how to cope while you're still at home
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...ps-suggestions

Hi Kristin!

Firstly congratulations on the impending arrival!

Also, if the contractions are coming pretty much 10 mins apart and are lasting that long, i would say you are in ridgy didge labour.

I know that it's mad to say, but basically the best is to try (and i say this with much sympathy!) to rest between them. especially while they are 10 mins apart. by resting i mean even just sitting under a shower, or on the bed/couch etc. i found that helped to keep the energy. also, while you are in this early stage, get the glucose happening for energy (i raided my jelly bean packet from my labour bag pretty early in the piece). i found that when i was in 'active' labour, (ie 2 mins apart) i was too preoccupied to eat, and my energy was getting sapped pretty quick.

Also, if the pain is getting really yuck, try and pee! sometimes, your bladder is full and causing the pain to worsen...

eeepp i hope this helps! and exciting times for you and bubs! not long now!

pegasus Guest

My labour stopped and started over 36 hours. My midwife examined me 3 times in that period and I had only gone 3cm. She asked me if I want my waters broken to see if that would jump start things so to speak. From waters broken at 0915, DD born at 1440 the same day. It was a good easy labour (hurt a heck though). I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

But yeah, it sounds like you're on your way to active labour. Good luck and rest and soothe yourself as much as possible. Eat normally so you're not hungry during labour or sick. Well done and don't worry. I went in twice with contractions at 5 minutes apart but labour kept stopping. Doesn't mean that will happen to you though. Ring the hospital and the midwives there will advise you when to go in. Good luck sweetie, its nearly over and soon you'll be cradling your precious baby.

Thanks for your quick replies Ladies - I know it's not easy for you to answer the how long is a piece of string?? It's great to hear your ideas and experiences though...

They're now 6-8 mins apart so thats progress, I'm starting to feel sick with them and my back is aching. So looks like I'm on my way...

I'll keep you updated... thanks again...

Hi Kirstin
    I think that you are already in 'proper labour'. However birth could still be quite some time away. Rest as much as you can. Make sure that you still drink plenty of water. Have a few small snacks rather than a full meal. Make sure that your bag is packed.
    I will be looking out for your anouncement.

Hey hun we posted at the same time
    6-8 mins apart is great progress.
    Your baby will be here soon

LOL Kirsten, meaning that you just don't know how long it is going to be. You are making such great progress by the sound of it - so don't bother keeping us updated - you just go and focus on birthing this baby of yours.

oooohhhh, how exciting!!!!!

Wishing you all the best, you will have your baby in your arms soon!!!!

Thinking of you Kirsten! I bet your doing a marvellous job!

Kristen I am very jealous it's not me!!!

Hope all goes well and we read your announcement soon!!!!!!!

looking forward to the announcement

Hope things have progressed well for you! going by how quick you went from 10 to 6 minutes apart, i reckon pretty good progress!

Hopefully by the time i have written this, your gorgeous little bubby is in this world scoring big hugs from you!

Hoping that this finds you all well and you giving your new baby lots of hugs.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your support, unfortunately still no baby.

We went to the hospital this morning at about 3am, my contractions were about 4 minutes apart and very painful... Whilst in hospital they didn't get any worse, I was exhausted (I know-already!) so they gave me some pain killers and I had a sleep. At 6am there was no further progress (was only 1cm dialated!) so they sent me home with more pain killers to get some rest. Which I have done... Felt like a bit of a wuss going in only being that far along, but the pain was unbearable. Baby is posterior too which they said would have added to the pain....

Contractions are back, much more painful and longer, but only every 10-15 minutes, so I'll have to wait and see.... This is really hard work! I never thought it would be this drawn out...

Thanks again everyone

okay maybe im not jealous now

Hopefully things get going and are not so painful!! Just concentrate on the beautiful bundle you will get for all of your hard work!

pegasus Guest

I know exactly what you're going through. Same thing happened to me. Have your waters broken yet? Try to rest and relax as much as possible. Who knows how long it will be until you are in established labour. Good luck sweetie. I went through this from about lunch on a wed, and they stopped at 11pm, started at 9am the next day, stopped a few hours later, started at 2am on friday morning, waters manually ruptured at 9.15am and DD born at 2.40pm friday.

It happens, it peed me off so much but by the end, it wasn't as long as I thought. My mum was saying "you're nearly there" all day, and I was going to strangle her when I was at 8cm. Once I'd pushed DD's head out, mum said, "you did it!" I breathed a big sigh of relief. "You pushed the head out!" And I just cried. "Pull it out already!!!" One more push and she was out. I remember saying, where's my baby? I'd forgotten to open my eyes (duh!) Then I tried picking her up, but could only hold her between my legs, the cord was quite short. I couldn't see what she was and asked what is it? Everyone looked at XP and he said "oh, its a girl." He was really quite useless in my labour. Just rubbing my back, and giving me things to drink and snacks. I wouldn't expect much from someone who forgot when my birthing classes were and started a course those nights.

Good luck to you darl and bubby will be here within a coupl of days (hopefully by tomorrow!)

Never mind things can progress pretty quickly I went from 3 cm to 8 cm in and hour, so hang in there hun and your baby will be here soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast